applet in new window
Fra : Nikolaj

Dato : 04-10-01 12:00

I want to create the "illusion" that the user starts an application from a
browser. The application is actually an applet running in a new
browser-window of its own.

My idea is to have a button on an html-page. When the button is pressed I
want to open a new window. (Can this for instance be done with
java-script?).
In the new window (which shouldn't have an addressbar, toolbar, statusbar
etc. from the browser) I want to place my applet.

I'm sure all of the above can be done but I'm not sure how.

The interesting question however is: Can I somehow in my applet listen to
the browser-window, and detect if it's beeing closed. And even more
interesting. Can I warn the user if he tries to close the window and ask if
he wants to cancel the operation?

Hope you can help with all or any of the above. Thanks.

I have some experience with java, but none with javascript, so I don't no
what part of this should be done in java and what part should be done in
javascript..

Nikolaj

Fra : Brian Matzon

Dato : 04-10-01 12:28

"Nikolaj" <nik@email.dk> wrote in message news:9phfqk$11ql$1@news.cybercity.dk...
> I want to create the "illusion" that the user starts an application from a
> browser. The application is actually an applet running in a new
> browser-window of its own.
>
> My idea is to have a button on an html-page. When the button is pressed I
> want to open a new window. (Can this for instance be done with
> java-script?).
> In the new window (which shouldn't have an addressbar, toolbar, statusbar
> etc. from the browser) I want to place my applet.
>
> I'm sure all of the above can be done but I'm not sure how.
>
> The interesting question however is: Can I somehow in my applet listen to
> the browser-window, and detect if it's beeing closed. And even more
> interesting. Can I warn the user if he tries to close the window and ask if
> he wants to cancel the operation?
>

> Hope you can help with all or any of the above. Thanks.
>
> I have some experience with java, but none with javascript, so I don't no
> what part of this should be done in java and what part should be done in
> javascript..
>
> Nikolaj

Please don't cross-post to so many groups!

As for the solution:
Vreate a small applet, which when clicked opens a frame containing your
"application"

/Brian Matzon