PhgGedView
Fra : oz

Dato : 24-02-07 04:48

er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
til ens server.
og hvordan med opsætning?
kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?

JB

Fra : Lars Erik Bryld

Dato : 24-02-07 08:01

Scripsit oz:

> er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView

Ja

> hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
> til ens server.

Ja

> og hvordan med opsætning?

Det er der

> kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?

Ja

Hvor godt man ellers forstår forvirringen over at stå med PhpGedView
for første gang, så er spørgsmålene ovenfor altså ikke særlig lette at
svare meningsfuldt på. Tag et kig på:

http://www.cslarsen.dk/html/vejledning_phpgedview/index_phpgedview.htm

--
Med venlig hilsen
Lars Erik Bryld

Fra : oz

Dato : 24-02-07 11:42

tak for hjælpen

JB

Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 24-02-07 10:14

oz wrote:

> er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
> hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
> til ens server.
> og hvordan med opsætning?
> kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?

there is an excellent expert discussion going on on

if you like using time on running a server instead of just doing genealogy

the advice is to install an apache server on your own machine
or home network, and install PhgGedView on that

to which I would suggest adding an off site mirror to have the best of
both worlds

Hugh W

--

a wonderful artist in Denmark
http://www.ingerlisekristoffersen.dk/

Beta blogger
http://snaps4.blogspot.com/ photographs and walks

old blogger GENEALOGE
http://hughw36.blogspot.com/ MAIN BLOG

Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 24-02-07 15:13

Hugh Watkins wrote:

> oz wrote:
>
>> er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
>> hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
>> til ens server.
>> og hvordan med opsætning?
>> kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?
>

> there is an excellent expert discussion going on on
>
> if you like using time on running a server instead of just doing genealogy
>
> the advice is to install an apache server on your own machine
> or home network, and install PhgGedView on that
>
> to which I would suggest adding an off site mirror to have the best of
> both worlds

from my email

The easy way (and I mean EASY) is to get a copy of XAMPP. This is
Apache, PHP, PhpMyAdmin, MySQL and it takes maybe 15 minutes to set up.

Then you can use PGV, write your own PHP, drop it into your pocket
and take it with you.

<< thanks to the sender

Hugh W

Fra : Robert Melson

Dato : 24-02-07 18:03

In article <54aduuF1v1t7bU2@mid.individual.net>,
   Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> writes:
> oz wrote:
>
>> er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
>> hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
>> til ens server.
>> og hvordan med opsætning?
>> kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?
>
> there is an excellent expert discussion going on on
>
> if you like using time on running a server instead of just doing genealogy
>
> the advice is to install an apache server on your own machine
> or home network, and install PhgGedView on that
>
> to which I would suggest adding an off site mirror to have the best of
> both worlds
>
> Hugh W

Hugh,

Dunno if you're thinking of what I've said in regard to the above, but
let me say that I don't necessarily recommend that everybody go the
route of creating his own server on his home machine. I do it because
I enjoy it, but others might find the free/low cost hosting sites
recommended in the Eastman review a better option.

While I agree installing Apache/pGV/PHP/MySQL is relatively easy,
there ARE folks for whom it is either (1) rocket science and,
therefore, too hard or (2) not worth the time and effort for the
perceived gain. As Eastman pointed out, it's really VERY easy ..
if you let somebody else do it, and this is the route to take
for many.

Bob Melson

-----
"People unfit for freedom---who cannot do much with it---are
hungry for power." ---Eric Hoffer

Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 24-02-07 19:35

Robert Melson wrote:
> In article <54aduuF1v1t7bU2@mid.individual.net>,
>    Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>oz wrote:
>>

>>>er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
>>>hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
>>>til ens server.
>>>og hvordan med opsætning?
>>>kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?
>>
>>there is an excellent expert discussion going on on
>>
>>if you like using time on running a server instead of just doing genealogy
>>
>>the advice is to install an apache server on your own machine
>>or home network, and install PhgGedView on that
>>
>>to which I would suggest adding an off site mirror to have the best of
>>both worlds
>>
>>Hugh W
>>

> Hugh,
>
> Dunno if you're thinking of what I've said in regard to the above, but
> let me say that I don't necessarily recommend that everybody go the
> route of creating his own server on his home machine. I do it because
> I enjoy it, but others might find the free/low cost hosting sites
> recommended in the Eastman review a better option.
>
> While I agree installing Apache/pGV/PHP/MySQL is relatively easy,
> there ARE folks for whom it is either (1) rocket science and,
> therefore, too hard or (2) not worth the time and effort for the
> perceived gain. As Eastman pointed out, it's really VERY easy ..
> if you let somebody else do it, and this is the route to take
> for many.

2)
which is why I use the freebies at rootsweb

and I want my data to survive
I have seen so many private sites lost when the user dies or fails to
pay the sevice charges

Hugh W

Fra : J. Hugh Sullivan

Dato : 24-02-07 23:00

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 17:02:30 GMT, melsonr@aragorn.rgmhome.net (Robert
Melson) wrote:

>In article <54aduuF1v1t7bU2@mid.individual.net>,
>   Hugh Watkins <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> writes:
>> oz wrote:
>>
>>> er der nogen der kender til PhgGedView
>>> hvordan virker det skal hele programmet opload
>>> til ens server.
>>> og hvordan med opsætning?
>>> kan man nøjes med Dansk og Engelsk?
>>
>> there is an excellent expert discussion going on on
>>
>> if you like using time on running a server instead of just doing genealogy
>>
>> the advice is to install an apache server on your own machine
>> or home network, and install PhgGedView on that
>>
>> to which I would suggest adding an off site mirror to have the best of
>> both worlds
>>
>> Hugh W
>>

>Hugh,
>
>Dunno if you're thinking of what I've said in regard to the above, but
>let me say that I don't necessarily recommend that everybody go the
>route of creating his own server on his home machine. I do it because
>I enjoy it, but others might find the free/low cost hosting sites
>recommended in the Eastman review a better option.

I don't think I want to get into that at this time. First, I doubt
that the program would make me want to change from the programs I use
now. Second, it appears that one of the advantages is sharing and I
have no plans to share my entire tree with anyone - I will exchange
direct lines with people one-on-one. In some cases I think giving
people too much data discourages research and I need people to COMPARE
data with, not to merely accept what I have.

I'm involved in a couple of funsy things now in addition to continuing
to upload to my website. I am using my 50+ pages of facts and doing a
spreadsheet - counties across the top and years down the side listing
names occupying the counties in chrono order. I'm also going to color
counties on formation maps by chrono occupation to better see the
migration pattern. I can't prove my ancestor prior to 1790 so if I
track all the other Sullivans whatever is untracked must be his daddy.

What I really suspect is that the records, if they existed, were
destroyed by war, fire and flood. My only out is probably prepondrance
of evidence and I've already done that for 5 previous generatioins.

I did send you an e-mail about OO and my need to change defaults on
margins, fonts and tabs.

Hugh

Fra : Robert Melson

Dato : 25-02-07 02:13

In article <45e0b1ae.3737594@news1.news.adelphia.net>,
   Eagle@roadrunner.com (J. Hugh Sullivan) writes:
<snip>

> I did send you an e-mail about OO and my need to change defaults on
> margins, fonts and tabs.
>
> Hugh
Hmmmm. And I haven't received it. Use the Reply-To address
in the header, not the (phony) aragorn@rgmhome.net. I'll be
happy to help if I can.

Bob

-----