Et godt ord om at prædike
Fra : Ukendt

Dato : 17-10-04 22:29

Et godt ord om at prædike

Preaching With Passion
by G. Campbell Morgan

In the true sermon there must always be passion. Our Lord's testimony
concerning John, His forerunner, was this: "He was a burning and a shining
light" (John 5:35). It is one thing to shine; it is quite another to burn as
well.

Half the sermons today--may I be forgiven if I am cruel--are failing because
they lack the note of passion.

There is a tale told of that great English actor, Macready. An eminent
preacher once said to him: "I wish you would explain something to me.

"What is it? I don't know if I can explain anything to a preacher."

"What is the reason for the difference between you and me? You are appearing
before crowds night after night with fiction, and the crowds come wherever
you go. I am preaching the essential and unchangeable truth, and I am not
getting any crowd at all."

Macready's answer was this: "That is quite simple. I can tell you the
difference between us. I present the fiction as though it were fact; you
present the fact as though it were fiction."

I leave that story right at this point. Of course the question comes,
whether a man can preach these things without passion if they are truth to
him. I don't know; I must not sit in judgment on other men. But our theme as
preachers of the Word has to do with the glory of life--with the tragedy of
sin, and its remedy; I cannot see how anyone can really handle these things
until he is handled by them.

A man was formerly said to "handle his text." If he handles his text he
cannot preach at all. But when his text handles him, when it grips and
masters and possesses him, and in experience he is responsive to the thing
he is declaring, having conviction of the supremacy of truth and experience
of the power of truth, I think that must create passion.

I am not arguing for mere excitement. Painted fire never burns, and an
imitated enthusiasm is the most empty thing that can possibly exist in a
preacher. Given the preacher with a message from the whole Bible, seeing its
bearing on life at any point, I cannot personally understand that man not
being swept sometimes right out of himself by the fire and the force and the
fervor of his work.

Citadel of the Will

The preacher should never address a crowd without remembering his ultimate
citadel is the citadel of the human will. He may travel along the line of
emotions, but he is after the will. He may approach along the line of
intellect, but he is after the will. When preaching becomes merely
discussion in the realm of the intellect, or--forgive my use of the
word--fooling in the realm of the emotions, and when preaching ends in the
intellectual or emotional, it fails. It is successful only when it is able
to storm the will, under the will of God.

The preacher comes with good news; but he does not come with something to be
trifled with. His message has an insistent demand, because he comes on
behalf of a King.

The Price of Passion

During the great Welsh Revival, it is said, a certain minister was
marvelously successful in his preaching. He had but one sermon, but under it
hundreds of men were saved. Far away from where he lived in a lonely valley,
news of this wonderful success reached a brother preacher. Forthwith he
became anxious to find out the secret of his success. At length, reaching
the humble cottage where the good man lived, he said, "Brother, where did
you get that sermon?"

He was taken into a poorly furnished room and pointed to a spot where the
carpet was worn shabby and bare, near a window that looked out toward the
mountains. The minister said, "Brother, that's where I got that sermon. My
heart was heavy for men. One evening I knelt there and cried for power to
preach as I had never preached before.

"The hours passed until the midnight struck, and the stars looked down on
the sleeping valley and silent hills; but the answer came not. So I prayed
until at length I saw a faint gray shoot up in the east. Presently it became
silver, and I watched and prayed until the silver became purple and gold,
and on all the mountain crests blazed the altar fires of the new day; and
then the sermon came, and the power came.

"I lay down and slept, and arose and preached, and scores fell down before
the fire of God. That is where I got that sermon."

Fra : Ukendt

Dato : 18-10-04 02:47

"Ole" <ole at detnyetestamente dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> Et godt ord om at prædike

There needs to be life in preaching, there needs to be passion! True passion
to preach the oracles of God comes from God alone in prayer; may everyone
who is sharing the word of God share from a burdened revived heart from God.
Without knowing the mind of God and just preaching from the mind will affect
minds, preaching from the heart will reach the heart: "Revival cannot be
organized, but we can set our sails to catch the wind from heaven when God
chooses to blow upon His people once again." - G. Campbell Morgan

Ravenhill speaks of this condition of passionless preaching: "The tragedy of
this late hour is that we have too many dead men in the pulpits giving out
too many dead sermons to too many dead people. Oh! the horror of it. There
is a strange thing that I have seen 'under the sun,' even in the
fundeamentalist circles; it is preaching without unction."