Deus Ex - RPG?
Fra : Arcana Dragon

Dato : 05-12-03 11:17

There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether Deus
Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.

My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

Fra : Mark Morrison

Dato : 05-12-03 13:45

On 05 Dec 2003 10:17:06 GMT, Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid.com>
wrote:

>There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether Deus
>Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
>
>My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

I think of it as aRPG/FPS hybrid, same as the System Shocks.

And what's with all the carrots ?

Fra : Mark Blunden

Dato : 05-12-03 14:11

Arcana Dragon wrote:
> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on
> whether Deus Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
>
> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

It's both.

Whether that's as true of the sequel remains to be seen.

--
Mark.

* Note to self: shoot first, quip later

Fra : Phil-on-a-hill

Dato : 05-12-03 14:15

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid.com> wrote in message

> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether
Deus
> Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
>
> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

I guess it's an action RPG that leans more towards the action side of
things.

Fra : perrer nerd

Dato : 05-12-03 14:52

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid.com> wrote in message

> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether
Deus
> Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
>
> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

I would say it's both, but is there a common definition of
CRPG you are using?

Fra : Simon Nejmann

Dato : 05-12-03 19:26

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:52:13 -0800, "perrer nerd"
<perenerd@operamail.com> wrote:

>"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether
>Deus
>> Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
>>
>> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.
>
>I would say it's both, but is there a common definition of
>CRPG you are using?

Nope (does one exist?), and thats the problem...

Guy A says: Don't discuss Deus Ex 2 in this group (dk.spil.computer,
spil = games) - use dk.spil.computer.fps instead because Deus Ex 2 is
a first person shooter.

Guy B says: No, here is fine because Deus Ex 2 isn't a first person
shooter; it's a role playing game.

At this point the discussion has come to the: "You are stupid", "No,
you are stupid" stage. Thus guy C (Arcana Dragon) started this thread
to get some external (expert?) input.

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann

Fra : Anders Albrechtsen

Dato : 06-12-03 00:02

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 05:52:13 -0800, "perrer nerd"
> <perenerd@operamail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether
> >Deus
> >> Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
> >>
> >> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.
> >
> >I would say it's both, but is there a common definition of
> >CRPG you are using?
>
> Nope (does one exist?), and thats the problem...
>
> Guy A says: Don't discuss Deus Ex 2 in this group (dk.spil.computer,
> spil = games) - use dk.spil.computer.fps instead because Deus Ex 2 is
> a first person shooter.
>
> Guy B says: No, here is fine because Deus Ex 2 isn't a first person
> shooter; it's a role playing game.

Just to clarify my position (Guy B):

I regard Deus Ex 2 as an action adventure since it contains elements from
several genres including RPG, Adventure and Action (first person shooter). I
posted in "dk.spil.computer" since we don't have a specific group for games
with action elements or mixed genres such as "comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action",
but just a general group "dk.spil.computer" and a sub-group
"dk.spil.computer.first.person.shooter". This is unfortunate since games
like Max Payne 1/2 and Freedom Fighters cannot be discussed in the same
group as Medal of Honor and No One Lives Forever (because they use a 3rd
person perspective) even though they are very similar. Game like Deus Ex and
Morrowind hardly fit the first person shooter genre either which means that
they should be discussed in "dk.spil.computer". However according to Guy A
(Gerner) it is fine to discuss all games that use a first person perspective
in the "dk.spil.computer.first.person.shooter" group, whether they have a
shooting element or not. In his opinion all games that use a first person
perspective are defined as first person shooters. I disagree since a first
person shooter is a well-defined genre where shooting elements dominate the
gameplay.

> At this point the discussion has come to the: "You are stupid", "No,
> you are stupid" stage.

I think this is oversimplified. I admit calling Guy A's comments in regards
to the placement of the thread rediculous and annoying, but I never called
him stupid.
---
Regards,
Anders (Guy B)

Fra : Applebrown

Dato : 05-12-03 15:04

Deus Ex is an Action/RPG.

Its role-playing elements:

Dialogue options,
Plot Twists in the story that you partially decide,
Minor Statistics and to an extent, Character Classes without the title,
Experience,
Augmentations

Its action elements:

1st Person shooting throughout,
Real-time danger

Tyson

Fra : Arcana Dragon

Dato : 05-12-03 20:48

Arcana Dragon <this@ress.is.invalid.com> wrote in

> There's an ongoing discussion in the danish PC Gaming group on whether
> Deus Ex (1&2) are CRPG's or FPS's.
> My opinion is that it's CRPG's. Any input appreciated.

Thanks for all the input, guys!