Lidt fakta om SPAM
Fra : pre

Dato : 03-05-03 19:20

CDT (Center for Democracy and Technology) som åbenbart er sponsoreret
af bl. a. Microsoft har publiceret en stor rapport om SPAM. Den
hedder "Why am I Getting all this Spam? " og kan i sin helhed
læses/hentes på adressen:
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

Her et par udvalgte pluk som bl. sætter nogle tal i relief:

In six months of operation, our project received over 10,000 e-mail
messages to the more than 250 single-use e-mail addresses we created.
About 1,600 of these were legitimate e-mail communications that we'd
requested from various online services. Another 62 were unclassifiable
due to incomplete e-mail headers or other missing data. And 16
messages were received after we'd opted-out of future communications
from a business we'd given an e-mail address to, but were received
within a two-week grace period that our methodology allowed. We
classified the remaining 8,842 as unsolicited, a.k.a. spam, e-mail.

1. E-mail addresses harvested from the public Web are frequently used
by spammers. By an overwhelming margin, the greatest amount of spam we
received was to addresses posted on the public Web.

3. E-mail addresses harvested from the public Web appear to have a
relatively short "shelf life." When e-mail addresses we posted on the
public Web were removed, there was a pronounced drop in the amount of
spam they received each day. The change was not absolute -- on a given
day, an address might receive a few spam messages even months after it
had been removed from the public Web. But such spam was on the order
of 2 or 3 messages per day, compared to the thirty or more messages
received by addresses still on the public Web.

4. Addresses posted in the headers of USENET messages can receive
significant spam, though less than a posting on the public Web. Like
most Web sites, USENET postings are publicly accessible and may be
targeted by e-mail address-harvesting programs.
5. Obscuring an e-mail address is an effective way to avoid spam from
harvesters on the Web or on USENET newsgroups. Even when posted in
publicly accessible areas, none of the addresses we obscured . Users
who want to avoid spam should consider obscuring their addresses when
possible.(www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html)

--
mvh
pre