Hjælp! Still can't update to Adobe Acrobat
Fra : hansler

Dato : 27-03-02 17:06

as posted earlier, I can't update acrobat 5.0 to 5.0.5: everyutime I run the
update-installer, I get the message

"an unknow error prevented the update from completing"

it happens always at the same time, when the installer gets to update
distiller. I tried it in osx (10.1.3), in 9.2.2, I tried it with classic on
and classic off, I tried moving the acrobat folder to the default install
location ("Applications (MacOS 9)"), and into "Applications". and yes, it is
a full retail version of acrobat 5.0 (NOT acrobat reader, that updated
fine), and no, it is not running.

(those last 2 'solutions' were the only 'help' I got so far from various
newsgroups...)

please help! there has to be something to do about that?! from what I read,
re-installing* does not do the trick, and replacing carbonlib 1.5 with 1.3*
doesn't seems to be the cure either

(*both solutions from other newsgroups)

vh

hansler

--
This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete the message including all its attachments, and /or notify me. You are

Fra : Zorilla

Dato : 28-03-02 12:59

On 27/03/02 17:06, in article B8C7AC7C.3424%hansler@mac.com, "hansler"
<hansler@mac.com> wrote:

> as posted earlier, I can't update acrobat 5.0 to 5.0.5: everyutime I run the
> update-installer, I get the message
>
> "an unknow error prevented the update from completing"
>
> it happens always at the same time, when the installer gets to update
> distiller. I tried it in osx (10.1.3), in 9.2.2, I tried it with classic on
> and classic off, I tried moving the acrobat folder to the default install
> location ("Applications (MacOS 9)"), and into "Applications". and yes, it is
> a full retail version of acrobat 5.0 (NOT acrobat reader, that updated
> fine), and no, it is not running.
>
> (those last 2 'solutions' were the only 'help' I got so far from various
> newsgroups...)
>
> please help! there has to be something to do about that?! from what I read,
> re-installing* does not do the trick, and replacing carbonlib 1.5 with 1.3*
> doesn't seems to be the cure either
>
> (*both solutions from other newsgroups)
>
> vh
>
> hansler

Hi,
I might be missing something here, but why do you want to install acrobat on
os X in the first place?
The possibilty to print pdf-files is already built into OS X, so why fill up
your harddisk with another program to do the same?

Regards,
Peter

Fra : Thorbjørn Ravn Ander~

Dato : 28-03-02 13:01

Zorilla <zorilla@mac.com> writes:

> The possibilty to print pdf-files is already built into OS X, so why fill up
> your harddisk with another program to do the same?

En PDF-fil er mange ting, og den indbyggede PDF-writer kan kun lave en
af dem.

Lidt i samme boldgade: Hvorfor bruge Word når man har Tekst&Lyd?
--
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
http://homepage.mac.com/ravn

Fra : hansler

Dato : 02-04-02 11:31

> Hi,
> I might be missing something here, but why do you want to install acrobat on
> os X in the first place?
> The possibilty to print pdf-files is already built into OS X, so why fill up
> your harddisk with another program to do the same?

I'm genuinly grateful for you to answer my posting in the first place, but
the question is not if I should use something else, but that I WANT to use
acrobat. it can do aloooot more things than creating pdf files, and
basically that is not what I wanna discuss here.

hansler

Fra : hansler

Dato : 09-04-02 16:50

here the fix for the update-troubles from acrobat 5 to 5.0.5 (acrobat, NOT
acrobat reader!):

the folder 'distiller' has to be removed from the acrobat folder, and placed
someplace else (wherever you want) - and suddenly, voilá! it works...

I hope to help some people out there, having the same problem. I was
fiddling with it for month now, and instead of help, I only got weird
answers like 'you don't need acrobat to make pdfs in osx', and blabla like
that (as if making pdfs would be the only reason to use acrobat...)

hansler