Skål Josef?
Fra : Erik Engelbrecht Lar~

Dato : 16-03-02 00:44

Joseph opens his own bar:

About 1842, a new and larger house was built for us.... Father proceeded to
build an extensive addition running out from the south wing toward the
east.... "At any rate, it seemed spacious then, and a sign was put out
giving it the dignified name of 'The Nauvoo Mansion,'... Mother was to be
installed as landlady, and soon made a trip to Saint Louis.. "When she
returned Mother found installed in the keeping - room of the hotel-that is
to say, the main room where the guests assembled and where they were
received upon arrival-A BAR, with counter, shelves, bottles, glasses, and
other paraphernalia customary for a FULLY -EQUIPPED TAVERN BAR, and Porter
Rockwell in charge as tender. "She was very much surprised and disturbed
over this arrangement, but said nothing for a while...she asked me where
Father was. I told her he was in the front room... Then she told me to go
and tell him she wished to see him. I obeyed, and returned with him to the
hall where Mother awaited him. 'Joseph,' she asked, 'What is the meaning of
THAT BAR IN THIS HOUSE?'... 'How does it look,' she asked, 'for the
spiritual head of a religious body to be keeping a hotel in which is a room
fitted out as a LIQUOR-SELLING ESTABLISHMENT?' "He reminded her that all
taverns had their BARS at which liquor was sold or dispensed.."Mother's
reply came emphatically clear, though uttered quietly: "'Well, Joseph,... I
will take my children and go across to the old house and stay there, for I
will not have them raised up under such conditions as this arrangement
imposes upon us, nor have them mingle with the kind of men who frequent such
a place. You are at liberty to make your choice; EITHER THAT BAR GOES OUT OF
THE HOUSE, OR WE WILL!' "It did not take Father long to make the choice, for
he replied immediately, 'Very well, Emma; I will have it removed at
once'-and he did"
(Joseph Smith's own son, in The Saints' Herald, Jan. 22, 1935, page 110)