norton 6 og OSX?
Fra : hansler

Dato : 20-02-02 09:59

i'm wondering if anyone has experience using norton 6 in osx? i know that i
have to boot from the cd to use norton utilities, but i heard rumours that
it ruins files or something like that? any help /comments would be
appreciated, cause it'd really be time to defrag my harddisk...

thanx in advance

hansler

--
This message is confidential. If you are not the intended receipient, please
delete the message including all its attachments, and /or notify me. You are

Fra : bassballs

Dato : 20-02-02 10:26

In article <B89923C7.E5F4%hansler@mac.com>, hansler <hansler@mac.com>
wrote:

> i'm wondering if anyone has experience using norton 6 in osx? i know that i
> have to boot from the cd to use norton utilities, but i heard rumours that
> it ruins files or something like that? any help /comments would be
> appreciated, cause it'd really be time to defrag my harddisk...
>
> thanx in advance
>
> hansler

I have used it several times with good result it even made the Eudora
icon look right after I upgraded to the new version and the icon was
destroyed. After i defragmented ..no problem The system ran smootly, I
have also installed Xdarwin and Gnome and it seens to work perfectly.

Venlig hilsen
Anders Kroyer

Fra : Zorilla

Dato : 20-02-02 10:30

"hansler" <hansler@mac.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> i'm wondering if anyone has experience using norton 6 in osx? i know that
> have to boot from the cd to use norton utilities, but i heard rumours that
> it ruins files or something like that? any help /comments would be
> appreciated, cause it'd really be time to defrag my harddisk...

I tried using Norton to check and repair my OS X disc. It deleted the entire
structure, meaning I had to reinstall the entire system again. Maybe I was
just unlucky, but I'm not trying again that's for sure.

Peter

Fra : Robert J. Widenmann

Dato : 21-02-02 04:07

Zorilla <Zorilla@mac.com> wrote:

> "hansler" <hansler@mac.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > i'm wondering if anyone has experience using norton 6 in osx? i know that
> > have to boot from the cd to use norton utilities, but i heard rumours that
> > it ruins files or something like that? any help /comments would be
> > appreciated, cause it'd really be time to defrag my harddisk...
> >
> I tried using Norton to check and repair my OS X disc. It deleted the entire
> structure, meaning I had to reinstall the entire system again. Maybe I was
> just unlucky, but I'm not trying again that's for sure.
>
> Peter
Jeg har brugt en gammel Norton DD på vores PM7600 uden problemer, men på
en WordPerfect group har jeg læst nogle knusende og rædselsvækkende
rapporter vedrørende Norton 6.

--
Robert J. Widenmann
mari-bob@post8.tele.dk

Fra : Morten Reippuert Knu~

Dato : 21-02-02 05:20

In article <1f7xv54.zob5pe1st5evkN%mari-bob@post8.tele.dk>,
mari-bob@post8.tele.dk (Robert J. Widenmann) wrote:

> Jeg har brugt en gammel Norton DD på vores PM7600 uden problemer, men på
> en WordPerfect group har jeg læst nogle knusende og rædselsvækkende
> rapporter vedrørende Norton 6.

Spørgsmålet i den forbindelse er selvfølgelig:

1) Var Norton anvendt på anbefaldede systemer og filsystemer?

2) Var den disk/partition som Norton trashede ikke trashet under alle
omstændigheder?

--
Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen... <icq:131382336>

Lejlighed søges i KBH Besides, if you can't get a decent
kernal panic or two in a month, what's the point of living?

Fra : Robert J. Widenmann

Dato : 22-02-02 02:28

Morten Reippuert Knudsen <spam@reippuert.dk> wrote:

> In article <1f7xv54.zob5pe1st5evkN%mari-bob@post8.tele.dk>,
> mari-bob@post8.tele.dk (Robert J. Widenmann) wrote:
>
> > Jeg har brugt en gammel Norton DD på vores PM7600 uden problemer, men på
> > en WordPerfect group har jeg læst nogle knusende og rædselsvækkende
> > rapporter vedrørende Norton 6.
>
> Spørgsmålet i den forbindelse er selvfølgelig:
>
> 1) Var Norton anvendt på anbefaldede systemer og filsystemer?
>
> 2) Var den disk/partition som Norton trashede ikke trashet under alle
> omstændigheder?

Ad 1) Aner det ikke.

Ad 2) Jeg har ikke sagt noget om en "disk/partition" som DD "trashede".
Men der var rigtignok en på listen, der nævnte netop dette problem. De
fleste klager gik ud på, at filer og ikoner blev ødelagt. Det er nu
nogen tid siden diskussionen fandt sted og jeg har ikke længere de
pågældende indlæg, men hvis nogen ønsker kan jeg sagtens røre i potten
og få den i kog igen. Det kan du i øvrigt også: listen findes på
WP-L@r8ix.com.
--
Robert J. Widenmann
mari-bob@post8.tele.dk

Fra : Morten Reippuert Knu~

Dato : 22-02-02 08:17

In article <1f7zl0w.1chclsaqx9cw0N%mari-bob@post8.tele.dk>,
mari-bob@post8.tele.dk (Robert J. Widenmann) wrote:

> hvis nogen ønsker kan jeg sagtens røre i potten
> og få den i kog igen

jeg kan sagtens klare mig uden

Fra : Morten Reippuert Knu~

Dato : 20-02-02 10:26

wrote:

> i'm wondering if anyone has experience using norton 6 in osx? i know that i
> have to boot from the cd to use norton utilities, but i heard rumours that
> it ruins files or something like that? any help /comments would be
> appreciated, cause it'd really be time to defrag my harddisk...

It's ok to use Speed Disk 6.03 on Mac OS X partitions. You can also use
Disc Doctor 6.03 if you uncheck DD's option to check for filenames. (I
can't remember the exact name, and can't check it since DD 6.03 won't
launch in classic)

However you will gain more by optimizing the Mac OS X partitions
styructure with DiskWarior than by defraging it with SD.

--
Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen...

<icq:131382336> Lejlighed soges i KBH

Fra : Morten Reippuert Knu~

Dato : 20-02-02 10:37

In article <spam-4A36D3.10254420022002@localhost>,
Morten Reippuert Knudsen <spam@reippuert.dk> wrote:

> However you will gain more by optimizing the Mac OS X partitions
> styructure with DiskWarior than by defraging it with SD.

+ i forgot "update_prebinding" vil laso improve the performance on your
Mac OS X installation.

Fra : bassballs

Dato : 20-02-02 11:10

In article <spam-2668B0.10365220022002@localhost>,
Morten Reippuert Knudsen <spam@reippuert.dk> wrote:

> In article <spam-4A36D3.10254420022002@localhost>,
> Morten Reippuert Knudsen <spam@reippuert.dk> wrote:
>
> > However you will gain more by optimizing the Mac OS X partitions
> > styructure with DiskWarior than by defraging it with SD.
>
> + i forgot "update_prebinding" vil laso improve the performance on your
> Mac OS X installation.

And I forgot that I skipped all repairs about bad creation dates in DD
6, so it was only the bundle bit settings I said fix all to (made the
icons right) In "tjekking files"

Venlig hilsen
Anders Krøyer

Fra : hansler

Dato : 28-02-02 19:13

I did use it now (diskdoctor and speed disk), and it did work fine, did not
ruin anything, and did actually made my system response faster.

hansler

--
This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please

Fra : Morten Reippuert Knu~

Dato : 28-02-02 19:19

In article <B8A4319F.DE9%hansler@mac.com>, hansler <hansler@mac.com>
wrote:

> I did use it now (diskdoctor and speed disk), and it did work fine, did not
> ruin anything, and did actually made my system response faster.

After that:

run DiskWarrior
do a update_prebinding (as root i Terminal.app)

--
Venlig hilsen Morten Reippuert Knudsen... <icq:131382336>

Lejlighed soges i KBH Besides, if you can't get a decent
kernal panic or two in a month, what's the point of living?

Fra : Michael Tysk-Anderse~

Dato : 03-03-02 16:45

Morten Reippuert Knudsen <spam@reippuert.dk> wrote:

> In article <B8A4319F.DE9%hansler@mac.com>, hansler <hansler@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I did use it now (diskdoctor and speed disk), and it did work fine, did not
> > ruin anything, and did actually made my system response faster.
>
> After that:
>
> run DiskWarrior
> do a update_prebinding (as root i Terminal.app)

Bare lige for at rydde evt. misforståelser af banen så har prebinding og
diskstruktur intet med hinanden. Diskoptimeringsværktøjer giver ikke
anledning til prebinding - Det gør installering af applikationer og
framworks. Men det ved du Morten!
--
Mvh Michael Tysk-Andersen

Fra : Morten Reippuert

Dato : 03-03-02 17:11

In article <1f8ffwn.22jigt16df9zmN%mta@mac.com>,
mta@mac.com (Michael Tysk-Andersen) wrote:

> Men det ved du Morten!

Ja

Arsagen til jeg nævnte update_prebinding og DiscWarrior var at Hansler
havde kørt speeddisk af hensyn til ydelsen. Begge dele giver en større
forbedring på Mac OS X end en almindelig defragmentering.