Mens vi venter på 9.1 ...
Fra : Martin Petersen

Dato : 25-01-01 16:29

Måske værd at tænke på. Fra MacFixit i dag, en all-round bedømmelse af
9.1. Er det besværet værd?

Margin Notes: Mac OS 9.1: The bottom line

With Mac OS 9.1 out for a few weeks, we though we'd take a look at how
the new OS stacks up from a troubleshooting perspective (see our
Troubleshooting Mac OS 9.1 MacFixIt Report for more details on the items
mentioned here):

The good
Mac OS 9.1 clearly fixes many bugs in previous OS 9 versions. It also
improves the overall speed and stability of the system for most users.
What problems do exist tend to be minor or involve conflicts with
third-party software (many of which have already been fixed via
updates).

The bad
Mac OS 9.1 appears to be mainly a bug-fix maintenance release. As such,
you would expect it to eliminate problems rather than to create new
ones. Given this, there have been a surprising number of new bug
reports. Clearly, there is a lot more going on "under the hood" than
just bug-fixes. The reorganization of the OS folders (for Mac OS X
compatibility) and the changes to Remote Access scripting are two prime
examples. Problems with USB modems has been another unexpected hassle.

The ugly
Much more than is typical for an update, there are several reported
problems that defy an easy solution. There are supposed bugs where
readers are divided as to whether the problem exists at all. Similarly,
among those users that have the alleged bug, a half dozen or more
suggested solutions often compete with each other. Explanations for all
of this inconsistency are too often not known. The two recently posted
items on inkjet printing and "time zone" errors are examples.

The bottom line
Despite the "bad' and the "ugly," most users are likely to find Mac OS
9.1 to be a worthwhile upgrade. After possibly needing to update a few
third-party programs, all should run smoothly, probably better than
ever. There have been very few truly serious (e.g., disk corruption,
startup crash, etc.) problems reported with the update (the Open
Firmware error being one albeit uncommon exception) - so there is little
to scare you away from installing the update. And Mac OS 9.1 will be
required to work with new Macs and with the release version of Mac OS X
- so you may ultimately have no choice about upgrading. Still, for the
moment, if you are happy with your current setup, there are no
compelling new features in OS 9.1 that you will lose by not upgrading.
In such cases, feel free to stick with what you got.

v.h.

Martin Petersen

Fra : Mark S. Rasmussen

Dato : 25-01-01 23:06

Jeg har nu haft OS 9.1 US i snart tre uger og jeg har kun oplevet små
problemer med vinduer der bliver "flimrede" ellers har jeg ikke opdaget
nogen problemer.

Mark