grineren dnd anmeldelse af LOTR
Fra : Rasmus Keil

Dato : 04-01-02 11:57

taget fra :
http://www.montecook.com/anrant.html

I just saw a fantasy movie that I thought I should warn you about. If you're
a D&D fan, stay far away from it. I can't remember the title exactly. It was
Sword of the Rings, or Lord of the Spring, or something like that.
Apparently based on some book or other. Whatever.

First off, the movie is full of creatures which are just clear rip-offs of
halflings (mostly 2nd Edition halflings -- right down to their furry feet)
called hobbits. One of these hobbits gets embroiled into the plot because he
ends up with a magic ring. It's sort of a ring of invisibility, but really
it's a ring of etherealness. Anyway, along comes this weed-smokin' wizard
(with long beard and pointy hat -- like we haven't seen that before) and the
next thing you know, the hobbit gets into a whole big story with rangers,
elves, dwarves, and wraiths. The ranger is even introduced as a shadowy,
cloaked figure in a tavern. Could they steal more from D&D? I mean, if this
movie had come before the game, you'd say that the whole foundation of
Dungeons & Dragons was based on this movie. Or the books that the movie was
based on (not that I've ever heard of them).

Anyway, there's a bunch of fights with orcs (which gets pretty boring -- I
mean, why don't they throw in some goblins, hobgoblins, kobolds, gnolls,
ogres, ogrillons, norkers, xvarts, lizardfolk, or troglodytes for some
variety?) that serve some trite dark lord -- why do these stories all have
some dark lord that wants to take over the world? It's like there's one
story that they all universally pay homage to. I don't know.

Yeah, there are some okay bits around some big chasms and stairs. But did
the wizard ever cast fly to help his friends? Nope. Not once. He even falls
to his doom -- unless he had feather fall prepared, that is -- in the big
fight with a type VI demon. I'm pretty sure they called it a balor. Of
course, the demon will just teleport without error away before it hits
bottom. Did anyone put any thought into this story? It didn't seem like it.

And the ending. Come on. Did they defeat the bad guy? Nope. How about some
closure? I dunno, they're probably setting it all up for some sequel. Sword
of the Rings II -- mark my words. If this movie is successful, the writers
will probably scramble to put together the sequel's plot. I bet they'll get
it out fast, too. I predict within a year. It doesn't take long to slap
something like this together, I'm sure.

(Yes, everything in this rant is a lie. I absolutely adored this movie. How
could I not? Merry Christmas!)

Fra : Henrik Steen Larsen

Dato : 04-01-02 13:49

ha ha ha ha... ganske fed sans for ironi

Fra : Torben Ægidius Mogen~

Dato : 09-01-02 14:30

"Rasmus Keil" <rasmus@kongkeil.dk> writes:

> taget fra :
> http://www.montecook.com/anrant.html
>
> I just saw a fantasy movie that I thought I should warn you about. If you're
> a D&D fan, stay far away from it. I can't remember the title exactly. It was
> Sword of the Rings, or Lord of the Spring, or something like that.
> Apparently based on some book or other. Whatever.

Ganske skæg, og desværre rammende for nogle af de yngre D&D
spillere.

Det man har hørt om først må jo være det, der er lavet først, og hvis
man slet ikke har hørt om det kan det umuligt være godt...

Det minder mig om at min bror for nogle år siden i Fantask hørte en
kunde i ramme alvor fortælle en anden, at han mente at Tolkiens bøger
var et plagiat af Terry Brooks "The Sword of Shannara".

Det minder mig også om den klassiske (og ofte efterlignede) historie
om Jabberwocky og stavekontrollen. Den oprindelige kan findes på
http://nethistory.dumbentia.com/nut02.html , lidt nede på siden (søg
efter "Carroll".

   Torben Mogensen (torbenm@diku.dk)

Fra : Nex \(Formerly known~

Dato : 09-01-02 17:58

> Det minder mig også om den klassiske (og ofte efterlignede) historie
> om Jabberwocky og stavekontrollen. Den oprindelige kan findes på
> http://nethistory.dumbentia.com/nut02.html , lidt nede på siden (søg
> efter "Carroll".

Det er da den mest fabelagtige mishandling af litteraturhistoriens bedste
nonsensvers

Jakob