Opsætning af RAID0 i win2k HPT370 2 x 60 g~
Fra : Ronni Hansen

Dato : 04-08-01 18:08

Hej...

Hvordan sætter jeg det til at køre raid0.. jeg har sat det op i HPT370 BIOS
men jeg får bare dobbelt så meget plads!! Hvad gør jeg forkert?
Ronni

Fra : peter-nt

Dato : 04-08-01 19:32

> men jeg får bare dobbelt så meget plads!!
Jamen tillykke! - så virker din raid0
Hvad havde du tænkt dig yderligere?
peter-nt

Fra : Henrik Dissing

Dato : 05-08-01 12:07

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 19:07:57 +0200, Ronni Hansen wrote:

>Hvordan sætter jeg det til at køre raid0.. jeg har sat det op i HPT370 BIOS
>men jeg får bare dobbelt så meget plads!! Hvad gør jeg forkert?

Sandsynligvis ingenting, hvis du altså med "dobbelt så meget plads" mener at
dit RAID-0 array er ligeså stort som de to (lige store, antager jeg) diske
tilsammen.

Ingen data ligger to steder, så du mister ikke noget plads. Til gengæld går
det hurtigere fordi der er to diske til at deles om opgaven hver gang der
skal skrives og læses.

Venlig hilsen
Henrik Dissing

Fra : Ronni Hansen

Dato : 05-08-01 18:11

Jeg havde bare troet at der "kun" ville være 60 gb... 60 gb til skrivning og
60 gb til læsning... Men fedt nok at jeg har dobbelt så meget plads som jeg
havde forventet plus at jeg kører raid0!!!

Fra : complex@pc.dk

Dato : 05-08-01 18:29

What is RAID?

RAID is an acronym for Redundant Array of Inexpensive (or Independent)
Disks. A RAID array is a collection of drives which collectively act
as a single storage system, which can tolerate the failure of a drive
without losing data, and which can operate independently of each
other.

What are the different RAID levels?

A research group at UC-Berkeley coined the term "RAID", defining six
RAID levels. Each level is a different way to spread data across
multiple drives--a compromise between cost and speed. Understanding
these levels is important, because each level is optimized for a
different use.

RAID Level 0
RAID Level 0 is not redundant, hence does not truly fit the "RAID"
acronym. In Level 0, data is split across drives, resulting in higher
data throughput. Since no redundant information is stored, performance
is very good, but the failure of any disk in the array results in all
data loss. This level is commonly referred to as striping.
RAID Level 1
RAID Level 1 is commonly referred to as mirroring with 2 hard drives.
It provides redundancy by duplicating all data from one drive on
another drive. The performance of a Level 1 array is slightly better
than a single drive, but if either drive fails, no data is lost. This
is a good entry-level redundant system, since only two drives are
required. However, since one drive is used to store a duplicate of the
data, the cost per megabyte is high.
RAID Level 2
RAID Level 2, wwhich uses Hamming error correction codes, is intended
for use with drives which do not have built-in error detection. All
SCSI drives support built-in error detection, so this level is of
little use when using SCSI drives.
RAID Level 3
RAID Level 3 stripes data at a byte level across several drives, with
parity stored on one drive. It is otherwise similar to level 4.
Byte-level striping requires hardware support for efficient use.
RAID Level 4
RAID Level 4 stripes data at a block level across several drives, with
parity stored on one drive. The parity information allows recovery
from the failure of any single drive. The performance of a level 4
array is very good for reads (the same as level 0). Writes, however,
require that parity data be updated each time. This slows small random
writes, in particular, though large writes or sequential writes are
fairly fast. Because only one drive in the array stores redundant
data, the cost per megabyte of a level 4 array can be fairly low.
RAID Level 5
This level is commonly referred to as striping with distributed
parity. RAID Level 5 is similar to level 4, but distributes parity
among the drives. No single disk is devoted to parity. This can speed
small writes in multiprocessing systems. Because parity data must be
distributed on each drive during reads, the performance for reads
tends to be considerably lower than a level 4 array. The cost per
megabyte is the same as for level 4.
RAID 0/1 or 10
RAID 0/1 is a dual level array that utilizes multiple RAID1 (mirrored)
sets into a single array. Data is striped across all mirrored sets. As
a comparison to RAID 5 where lower cost and fault tolerance is
important, RAID 0/1 utilizes several drives, in order to provide
better performance. Each drive in the array is duplicated (mirrored).
This eliminates the overhead and delay of parity. This level array
offers high data transfer advantages of striped arrays and increased
data accessibility (reads). System performance during a drive rebuild
is also better than that of parity based arrays, since data does not
need to be regenerated from parity information, but copied from the
other mirrored drive.
RAID 0/5 or 50
RAID 0/5 is a dual level array that utilizes multiple RAID5 sets into
a single array. In RAID 0/5 array, a single hard drive failure can
occur in each of the RAID5 without any loss of data on the entire
array. Keep in mind, as the number of hard drives increase in an
array, so too, does the increased possibility of a single hard drive
failure. Although there is an increased write performance in RAID 0/5,
once a hard drive fails and reconstruction takes place, there is a
noticeable decrease in performance, data/program access will be
slower, and transfer speeds on the array will be effected.

Which RAID level should I use?

The right choice depends on the application. The RAID Levels below
provide a brief summary and general uses. Keep in mind, Adaptec RAID
controllers do not support all RAID Levels. Please check Technical
Specifications for your RAID product for RAID Levels that are
supported.

RAID Level Uses

Level 0 (striping)
Any application which requires very high speed storage, but does not
need redundancy. Photoshop temporary files are a good example.
Level 1 (mirroring)
Applications which require redundancy with fast random writes;
entry-level systems where only two drives are available. Small file
servers are an example.
Level 0/1 or 10 (mirroring and striping)
Dual level raid, combines multiple mirrored drives (RAID 1) with data
striping (RAID 0) into a single array. Provides highest performance
with data protection.
Level 5 (distributed parity)
Similar to level 4, but may provide higher performance if most I/O is
random and in small chunks. Database servers are an example.
Level 0/5 or 50
Dual level raid, combines multiple RAID 5 sets with data striping
(RAID 0). Increased reliability and performance over standard RAID5
that can stand a multiple drive failure; one hard drive per RAID5 set

Lars (København nord)
complex@pc.dk

Fra : Ronni Hansen

Dato : 12-08-01 15:51

Hvordan kan det så være at min score i sisoft "kun" er 24000??? Det andet
raid sytem den sammenligner med har over 30000....