Mysterious New 'Dark Flow' Discovered in S~
Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 27-09-08 11:00

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080923-dark-flows.html

By Clara Moskowitz
Staff Writer
posted: 23 September 2008
12:46 pm ET

As if the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy weren't vexing enough, another baffling cosmic
puzzle has been discovered.

Patches of matter in the universe seem to be moving at very high speeds and in a uniform direction
that can't be explained by any of the known gravitational forces in the observable universe.
Astronomers are calling the phenomenon "dark flow."

The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable universe, researchers conclude.

When scientists talk about the observable universe, they don't just mean as far out as the eye, or
even the most powerful telescope, can see. In fact there's a fundamental limit to how much of the
universe we could ever observe, no matter how advanced our visual instruments. The universe is
thought to have formed about 13.7 billion years ago. So even if light started travelling toward us
immediately after the Big Bang, the farthest it could ever get is 13.7 billion light-years in
distance. There may be parts of the universe that are farther away (we can't know how big the whole
universe is), but we can't see farther than light could travel over the entire age of the universe.

Mysterious motions

Scientists discovered the flow by studying some of the largest structures in the cosmos: giant
clusters of galaxies. These clusters are conglomerations of about a thousand galaxies, as well as
very hot gas which emits X-rays. By observing the interaction of the X-rays with the cosmic
microwave background (CMB), which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, scientists can study the
movement of clusters.

The X-rays scatter photons in the CMB, shifting its temperature in an effect known as the kinematic
Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect. This effect had not been observed as a result of galaxy clusters
before, but a team of researchers led by Alexander Kashlinsky, an astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard
Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., found it when they studied a huge catalogue of 700 clusters,
reaching out up to 6 billion light-years, or half the universe away. They compared this catalogue to
the map of the CMB taken by NASA's Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite.

They discovered that the clusters were moving nearly 2 million mph (3.2 million kph) toward a region
in the sky between the constellations of Centaurus and Vela. This motion is different from the
outward expansion of the universe (which is accelerated by the force called dark energy).

"We found a very significant velocity, and furthermore, this velocity does not decrease with
distance, as far as we can measure," Kashlinsky told SPACE.com. "The matter in the observable
universe just cannot produce the flow we measure."

Inflationary bubble

The scientists deduced that whatever is driving the movements of the clusters must lie beyond the
known universe.

A theory called inflation posits that the universe we see is just a small bubble of space-time that
got rapidly expanded after the Big Bang. There could be other parts of the cosmos beyond this bubble
that we cannot see.

In these regions, space-time might be very different, and likely doesn't contain stars and galaxies
(which only formed because of the particular density pattern of mass in our bubble). It could
include giant, massive structures much larger than anything in our own observable universe. These
structures are what researchers suspect are tugging on the galaxy clusters, causing the dark flow.

"The structures responsible for this motion have been pushed so far away by inflation, I would
guesstimate they may be hundreds of billions of light years away, that we cannot see even with the
deepest telescopes because the light emitted there could not have reached us in the age of the
universe," Kashlinsky said in a telephone interview. "Most likely to create such a coherent flow
they would have to be some very strange structures, maybe some warped space time. But this is just
pure speculation."

Surprising find

Though inflation theory forecasts many odd facets of the distant universe, not many scientists
predicted the dark flow.

"It was greatly surprising to us and I suspect to everyone else," Kashlinsky said. "For some
particular models of inflation you would expect these kinds of structures, and there were some
suggestions in the literature that were not taken seriously I think until now."

The discovery could help scientists probe what happened to the universe before inflation, and what's
going on in those inaccessible realms we cannot see.

The researchers detail their findings in the Oct. 20 issue of the journal Astrophysical Journal
Letters.

Jan Rasmussen

Fra : Carsten Svaneborg

Dato : 27-09-08 13:08

Jan Rasmussen wrote:
> The researchers detail their findings in the Oct. 20 issue of the journal
> Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Draft versioner kan findes her:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.3734
http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.3733

--
Mvh. Carsten Svaneborg
http://gauss.ffii.org softwarepatent database

Fra : kaz

Dato : 27-09-08 19:01

Jan Rasmussen wrote:
> http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080923-dark-flows.html

Sjov historie. Så ved vi det

Noget af det usynlige - men absolut nødvendige - stof (dark matter) der
kredser omkring derude bliver trukket afsted i een bestemt retning af nogle
gigantiske, vel at mærke - også usynlige - kæmpe kolosser et eller andet
sted. Klart nok. Er det ikke bare lidt underligt alt det usynlige man kan
lave videnskabelige teorier om.

Det observerede fænomen hedder 'the dark flow' eller 'den usynlige strøm'.

Men det er stadigvæk observerbart.

Det observerbare univers er nu ikke kun det observerbare, det er nu
begrænset til alt det man kan forestille sig, måske ikke engang begrænset
til det. Jo jo, vi taler stadigvæk om videnskab.

"...Kashlinsky told SPACE.com. "The matter in the observable universe just
cannot produce the flow we measure." " Så det er altså klart at når det
stof man kan observere ikke kan gøre det usynlige man forlanger, så må man
opfinde noget der kan, i dette tilfælde noget usynligt.

Tak for kaffe.

Fra : Ulrik Smed

Dato : 27-09-08 20:41

Jan Rasmussen wrote:

> The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable
> universe, researchers conclude.

Hmm, udbreder tyngdekraften sig ikke også med lysets hastighed? I så fald,
burde det så ikke være umuligt at se effekten af tyngdekraft fra noget uden
for universet, på samme måde som det er med lys?

--
Ulrik Smed
Aarhus, Denmark

Fra : Glenn Møller-Holst

Dato : 28-09-08 09:49

Ulrik Smed wrote:
> Jan Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable
>> universe, researchers conclude.
>
> Hmm, udbreder tyngdekraften sig ikke også med lysets hastighed? I så fald,
> burde det så ikke være umuligt at se effekten af tyngdekraft fra noget uden
> for universet, på samme måde som det er med lys?

Hej Ulrik

Jo, det skulle jeg også mene. Tyngdekraften er faktisk en
rumtidskrumning - ifølge relativitetsteorien, men den kan også max.
udbrede sig med lysets hastighed.

-

Ydermere "ses" effekten på en relativ stor del af univershimlen - 20
grader "vinkelbredde" (se kort øverst til højre i NASA artikel længere
nede).

Men du har vel også læst nogle af deres andre gæt:

Mysterious New 'Dark Flow' Discovered in Space
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080923-dark-flows.html
Citat: "...
The X-rays scatter photons in the CMB, shifting its temperature in an
effect known as the kinematic Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect.
"The structures responsible for this motion have been pushed so far away
by inflation, I would guesstimate they may be hundreds of billions of
light years away, that we cannot see even with the deepest telescopes
because the light emitted there could not have reached us in the age of
the universe," Kashlinsky said in a telephone interview. "Most likely to
create such a coherent flow they would have to be some very strange
structures, maybe some *warped* space time. But this is just pure
speculation."
...."

Lidt om den "mystiske gamle" effekt jeg ikke har hørt om før (hvem
oversætter noget af den og lægger den på dansk Wikipedia?):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunyaev-Zel'dovich_effect
Citat: "...
The Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect can be divided into:

* thermal effects, where the CMB photons interact with electrons
that have high energies due to their temperature

* kinematic effects, a second-order effect where the CMB photons
interact with electrons that have high energies due to their bulk motion
(also called the Ostriker-Vishniac effect, after Jeremiah P. Ostriker
and Ethan Vishniac.[1])

* polarization
1983 — Researchers from the Cambridge Radio Astronomy Group and the
Owens Valley Radio Observatory first detect the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich
effect from clusters of galaxies.
# 2008 Dark flow effects discovered.[2]
...."

CMB=cosmic microwave background:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background_radiation

NASA: Scientists Detect Cosmic 'Dark Flow' Across Billions of Light Years:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2008/dark_flow.html
Citat: "...
[Under billede øverst til højre]
Hot gas in moving galaxy clusters (white spots) shifts the temperature
of cosmic microwaves. Hundreds of distant clusters seem to be moving
toward one patch of sky (purple ellipse). Credit: NASA/WMAP/A.
Kashlinsky et al.
[Fra artikeltekst:]
Hot X-ray-emitting gas in a galaxy cluster scatters photons from the
cosmic microwave background. Clusters don't precisely follow the
expansion of space, so the wavelengths of scattered photons change in a
way that reflects each cluster's individual motion.

This results in a minute shift of the microwave background's temperature
in the cluster's direction. Astronomers refer to this change as the
kinematic Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect.

A related distortion, known as the thermal SZ effect, has been observed
in galaxy clusters since the 1980s. But the kinematic version is less
than one-tenth as strong and has not been detected in any cluster.
[To Big Bang or NOT to Big Bang?
( Big-bang-hypotesen formidlet på engelsk på ca. 4 minutter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpsD68sRrvA ) :]
The finding flies in the face of predictions from standard cosmological
models, which describe such motions as decreasing at ever greater distances.
...."

-

Hvad bliver det næste gæt af universets form? Storpunkteret ballon eller
torus (donut-form)?:

Shape of the Universe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape_of_the_Universe
Citat: "...
The shape of the Universe is an informal name for a subject of
investigation within physical cosmology which describes the geometry of
the universe including both local geometry and global geometry. It is
loosely divided into curvature and topology, even though strictly
speaking, it goes beyond both.
...."

26 November 1998, The size and shape of the cosmos:
http://www.nature.com/news/1998/981126/full/news981126-4.html
Citat: "...
On the other hand, it could have some more exotic shape, akin to a torus
- a doughnut shape - with a 'hole' in it. The year 2002 could see our
ideas of the Universe cut down to size, and possibly even bent out of shape.
...."

BBC News 26 April, 2000: Universe proven flat:

8 October 2003, PhysicsWeb: Is the universe a dodecahedron?:
http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/18368

9 October 2003 Universe could be football-shaped:
http://www.nature.com/news/2003/031006/full/news031006-8.html

28 May 2008, Doughnut-shaped Universe bites back:
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080523/full/news.2008.854.html
Citat: "...Mmm... Universe. Calculations show it really might be shaped
like the snack favourite..."

April, 2002, Universe in 'endless cycle':
Citat: "...
The current model of the Universe starts with a Big Bang, a mighty
explosion of space, matter and time about 14 billion years ago.
But the model has several shortcomings, Steinhardt and Turok say.

It cannot tell us what happened before the Big Bang or explain the
eventual fate of the Universe. Will it expand forever or stop and contract?
[ Årsag og virkning-antagelsen/aksiomet har det hårdt her? På den anden
side var der vel heller ingen (rum)tid i starten?: ]
He added: "In the standard picture, it's presumed that the Big Bang is
actually a beginning of space and time; that there was nothingness, and
then suddenly out of nothingness there sprang space, time, matter,
radiation, etcetera.
[ Faktisk kan alle kosmologigæt kun være store ekstrapolationer?: ]
"The history of cosmology is the history of us being completely wrong,"
he told the BBC. "I mean, cosmology is the hardest of all sciences; we
sit on this tiny planet in the middle of this vast Universe, we can't go
anywhere and do any experiments - all we can do is pick up the light
that happens to fall on us and deduce some things about the Universe."
...."

-

Deres artikel der udkommer den 20. oktober kan nu (28. september !)
læses, downloades i pdf her:

The Astrophysical Journal Letters, 686:L49–L52, 2008 October 20.
A Measurement of Large-Scale Peculiar Velocities of Clusters of
Galaxies: Results and Cosmological Implications.
A. Kashlinsky,1
F. Atrio-Barandela,2
D. Kocevski,3 and
H. Ebeling4
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/592947

-

Her er nogle adresser som kan give et indtryk af hvor stort det synlige
univers er:

An Atlas of The Universe:
http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/

Bruce Bryson: Quarks to Quasars, Powers of Ten (Klik f.eks. på billedet
til venstre for at starte på lille skala):
http://www.wordwizz.com/pwrsof10.htm

Molecular Expressions: Science, Optics and You - Powers Of 10:
Interactive Java Tutorial:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/

hilsen

Glenn

Fra : Glenn Møller-Holst

Dato : 28-09-08 10:36

Glenn Møller-Holst wrote:
> NASA: Scientists Detect Cosmic 'Dark Flow' Across Billions of Light Years:
> http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2008/dark_flow.html
> Citat: "...
> [Under billede øverst til højre]
> Hot gas in moving galaxy clusters (white spots) shifts the temperature
> of cosmic microwaves. Hundreds of distant clusters seem to be moving
> toward one patch of sky (purple ellipse). Credit: NASA/WMAP/A.
> Kashlinsky et al.
> [Fra artikeltekst:]
> Hot X-ray-emitting gas in a galaxy cluster scatters photons from the
> cosmic microwave background. Clusters don't precisely follow the
> expansion of space, so the wavelengths of scattered photons change in a
> way that reflects each cluster's individual motion.
>
> This results in a minute shift of the microwave background's temperature
> in the cluster's direction. Astronomers refer to this change as the
> kinematic Sunyaev-Zel'dovich (SZ) effect.
>
> A related distortion, known as the thermal SZ effect, has been observed
> in galaxy clusters since the 1980s. But the kinematic version is less
> than one-tenth as strong and has not been detected in any cluster.
> [To Big Bang or NOT to Big Bang?
> ( Big-bang-hypotesen formidlet på engelsk på ca. 4 minutter:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpsD68sRrvA ) :]
> The finding flies in the face of predictions from standard cosmological
> models, which describe such motions as decreasing at ever greater
> distances.
> ...."

Kan nogen fortælle om det er i nærheden - eller om der er en større
SZ-effekt ved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor
Citat: "...
The Great Attractor is a gravity anomaly in intergalactic space within
the range of the Centaurus Supercluster that reveals the existence of a
localised concentration
...."

-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow
Citat: "...
Since the matter causing the net motion in this proposal is outside this
range, it would in a certain sense be outside our visible universe;
however, it would still be in our past light cone.
...."

hilsen

Glenn