The war of drones and the end of Bin Laden
Fra : steen hjortsø

Dato : 18-09-08 13:13

The recent upward deployment of remote controlled, self-propelled and
missile-carrying US-made drones in North and South Waziristan should
alert us to eventual major counterblasts from a Bin Laden on the
ropes.

Indeed, even if it may be conjectured that a cunning Bin Laden in
disguise will change his whereabouts frequently, it is predictable,
even for Bin Laden, that the overt and covert onslaught on his power
base in Warizistan will only increase in vehemence as the new American
president is installed.

Then, will Bin Laden duly meet our expectations patiently
foreshadowing discovery while crouching, when not on the run, in the
inmost recesses of his dusty caves, until one of the unmanned drones –
and ground-penetrating satellite radar - systematically scouring the
territory of Waziristan finally spot him and subsequently take him
out ?

He probably won’t. The chances are that Bin Laden’s hideouts will
instead go beyond the territorial borders of Waziristan, preferably
with a bent towards Islamabad and the power elites of Pakistan that,
in so far as they are islamistic and part of the officer corps that
controls Pakistan’s nuclear weapons, according to the judgment of one
of Pakistan’s leading nuclear scientists are highly susceptible to
anti-Western influence (1, 2).

Subjected to sufficient pressure, high-ranking islamistic officers of
the army and military intelligence will be liable to take part in
supposedly terroristic arrangements involving for instance the use of
single low-yield nuclear weapons against what they consider Pakistan’s
enemies thus fulfilling the notorious yearnings and long-winded
machinations of Bin Laden that at the decisive moment when al Qaeda
and Taliban forces are tugged at their heartstrings will inevitably
reach their climax.

Steen Hjortsoe

1. Hoodbhoy, Pervez: Bin Laden and Hiroshima.
http://www.chowk.com/articles/9503

2. Matzen, Jeppe: De forkerte hænder (Interview with Pervez Hoodbhoy).
In: Weekend-Avisen, Copenhagen, 4 July 2008.

Fra : Frank Leegaard

Dato : 18-09-08 23:26

steen hjortsø wrote:
> The recent upward deployment of remote controlled, self-propelled and
> missile-carrying US-made drones in North and South Waziristan should
> alert us to eventual major counterblasts from a Bin Laden on the
> ropes.
>
> Indeed, even if it may be conjectured that a cunning Bin Laden in
> disguise will change his whereabouts frequently, it is predictable,
> even for Bin Laden, that the overt and covert onslaught on his power
> base in Warizistan will only increase in vehemence as the new American
> president is installed.
>
> Then, will Bin Laden duly meet our expectations patiently
> foreshadowing discovery while crouching, when not on the run, in the
> inmost recesses of his dusty caves, until one of the unmanned drones –
> and ground-penetrating satellite radar - systematically scouring the
> territory of Waziristan finally spot him and subsequently take him
> out ?
>
> He probably won’t. The chances are that Bin Laden’s hideouts will
> instead go beyond the territorial borders of Waziristan, preferably
> with a bent towards Islamabad and the power elites of Pakistan that,
> in so far as they are islamistic and part of the officer corps that
> controls Pakistan’s nuclear weapons, according to the judgment of one
> of Pakistan’s leading nuclear scientists are highly susceptible to
> anti-Western influence (1, 2).
>
> Subjected to sufficient pressure, high-ranking islamistic officers of
> the army and military intelligence will be liable to take part in
> supposedly terroristic arrangements involving for instance the use of
> single low-yield nuclear weapons against what they consider Pakistan’s
> enemies thus fulfilling the notorious yearnings and long-winded
> machinations of Bin Laden that at the decisive moment when al Qaeda
> and Taliban forces are tugged at their heartstrings will inevitably
> reach their climax.
>
> Steen Hjortsoe

> 1. Hoodbhoy, Pervez: Bin Laden and Hiroshima.
> http://www.chowk.com/articles/9503
>
> 2. Matzen, Jeppe: De forkerte hænder (Interview with Pervez Hoodbhoy).
> In: Weekend-Avisen, Copenhagen, 4 July 2008.

Det er vel ikke værre end en tinfoil hat kan klare det?

/F

Fra : Martin Larsen

Dato : 19-09-08 00:26

"steen hjortsø" <steenhjortsoe@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen

Steen Hjortsoe

1. Hoodbhoy, Pervez: Bin Laden and Hiroshima.
http://www.chowk.com/articles/9503

Det er en udmærket (lang) artikel af den pakistanske atomfysiker du linker
til, og den rejser det interessante spørgsmål:
Hvordan vil Vesten reagere når det en skønne dag lykkes helligkrigere på en
eller anden måde at detonere en atombombe i en vestlig storby?

Hoodbhoy:
Some nuclear weapon experts (who I am not at liberty to name) privately
believe that it is not a question of if but when the attack is to happen.

Mvh
Martin

Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 19-09-08 08:11

"Martin Larsen" <mlarsen@post7.tele.dk> skrev i en meddelelse
> "steen hjortsø" <steenhjortsoe@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> 1. Hoodbhoy, Pervez: Bin Laden and Hiroshima.
> http://www.chowk.com/articles/9503
>

> Det er en udmærket (lang) artikel af den pakistanske atomfysiker du linker til, og den rejser det
> interessante spørgsmål:
> Hvordan vil Vesten reagere når det en skønne dag lykkes helligkrigere på en eller anden måde at
> detonere en atombombe i en vestlig storby?

http://www.chowk.com/articles/9503

If nuclear weapons continue to be accepted by nuclear weapon states as legitimate instruments of
either deterrence or war, their global proliferation – whether by other states or non-state actors –
can only be slowed down at best. Coercive non-proliferation will only serve to drive up demand.
Non-proliferation by cooperation and consent cannot succeed as long as the US [& Rusland, Israel] is
insistent on retaining and improving its nuclear arsenal – by what reasonable argument can others
[ Iran ] be persuaded to give up, or not acquire, nuclear weapons?

If we accept that religious fanatics are planning nuclear attacks and that they may eventually
succeed, then what? The world shall plunge headlong into a bottomless abyss of reaction and counter
reaction whose horror the human mind cannot comprehend. Who will the US retaliate against? Will the
US nuke Mecca? The capitals of Muslim states? What will the US and its allies do as their people
fear more attacks, will they expel Muslims from the US and Europe or like the Japanese Americans in
World War II, herd them into internment camps?

Hiroshima signaled a failure of humankind, not just that of America. The growth of technology has
far outstripped our ability to use it wisely. Like a quarrelling group of monkeys on a leaky boat,
armed with sticks of dynamite, we are now embarked on an uncertain journey. Humanity’s best chance
of survival lies in creating taboos against nuclear weapons, much as already exist for chemical and
biological weapons, and to work rapidly toward their global elimination. We cannot afford to live in
a savage dog-eat-dog world. Instead, we must dare to imagine and work urgently towards a future that
is based on universal, compassionate, human, secular values. For this to happen, the civilized world
will have to subdue the twin ogres of American imperialism and Islamic radicalism.

Jan Rasmussen

Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 19-09-08 07:45

"steen hjortsø" <steenhjortsoe@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

>The recent upward deployment of remote controlled, self-propelled and
>missile-carrying US-made drones in North and South Waziristan should
>alert us to eventual major counterblasts from a Bin Laden on the
>ropes.

The Myth Of Inclusiveness.

Like that of our metaphorical heavyweight champion, a superpower's diet must contain plenty of red
meat – in this case, human flesh. A superpower must continually ingest plenty of highly skilled and
motivated personal – managers, scientists, engineers, military officers – who must be willing to
endure hardship, give up their best years, ruin their health, perhaps even give their lives, slaving
away designing and building things, fighting and doing all the dirty work.

Motivating the needed quantities of people with money is out of the question, because that would not
leave enough for the ruling elites to siphon off. The uppers classes tend to already be highly
motivated by both money and status, but they also tend to be allergic to dirty work, and they can
never be numerous enough to satisfy a superpower's appetite for flesh.

The only thing that can possibly provide the necessary motivating force is an idea: a communal myth
powerful enough to cause people to commit their insignificant yet essential selves to the
righteousness and glory of the great hole. A superspower's vitality is critically dependent on the
sustaining power of this myth. Shortly efter it fails, so does the superpower.

Reinventing Collapse: The Soviet Example and American Prospects.
http://www.amazon.com/Reinventing-Collapse-Example-American-Prospects/dp/0865716064

Så det er ikke uden fare at udslætte 'Tim Osman'
uden at man erstatter ham med noget andet, og det er måske derfor
Bush administration ikke have være synderligt interesseret i dette.

Jan Rasmussen