Reinholt Roth and Maria Saulmon in
Fra : Herman de Wit

Dato : 28-07-06 19:21

Who can add new information to the data mentioned below of the family of
the army captain REINHOLT ROTH, his wife MARIA SAULMON and their
children, living in Danmark from appr. 1656 till 1669?

Basic info about this family:

Reinholt Roth, born Königbergen (Eastern-Prussia) 28.9.1623, army
captain Danmark (1657-1669) and the Netherlands (1672-±1687), died
Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) appr. 1687, descendant from a merchants family from
Königsbergen (see details at http://de-wit.net/genovz/deroth.html },
married (marriage banns Utrecht and Amsterdam (NL) 24/28.12.1652) Maria
Saulmon, born appr. 1630, died Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) appr. 1672, also
descendant from a merchants family (see details at
http://de-wit.net/genovz/kwestie-saulmont.htm ).

When Reinholt came to Danmark he started, in his brother’s (Hendrik)
regiment Linderot (Hendrik Roth was ennobled as Hendrik Linderot in
1646, see Danmarks Adels Årbug), but in the battle around Fredericia in
1657, his brother Hendrik was killed, the Danish army was beated by the
Swedish army and Reinholt was kept in prison for a while.
Reinholt than came in Ulrik Christian Güldenlöwes dragoons regiment,
later in the Queens regiment. Some global info, as far as known, on
where he was stationed in Danmark:
-   1657 Fredericia
-   July 1659 Copenhagen
-   February 1661 Kronborg (Helsingör)
-   November 1661 order to go to Nyborg (likely for a short time)
-   1668 Kronborg

The couple had children, most of them probably were born in Danmark:
1.   Louisa Adelgonda, baptised Amsterdam (NL) 28.10.1654
2.   Maria Dorthea
3.   Reinhold
4.   Hendrik
5.   .... (perhaps a child was born in Helsingör 20.7.1664)
6.   Elardus Magnus, probably born Kronborg (20.7.1669?)
7.   Johannes, baptised Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) 9.2.1670

In the periode 1661-1669 the captain Reinholt Roth and his wife Maria
Saulmon (Salomons) are mentioned a few times in parishal records of St.
Maræ (Elseneur).
In 1669 or 1670 the family returned to the Netherlands.

Note: the children Reinhold and Hendrik were in their fathers’ company
already in 1662 (it was usual to have very small kids ‘on the pay-roll’
to get extra income). Reinhold junior was found in this company till 1668.

Any additional information about this family will be appreciated very much!

Kind regards,
Herman de Wit
--
genealogie-genealogy:
http://geneaknowhow.net/

Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 28-07-06 21:35

Herman de Wit wrote:
> Who can add new information to the data mentioned below of the family of
> the army captain REINHOLT ROTH, his wife MARIA SAULMON and their
> children, living in Danmark from appr. 1656 till 1669?
>
> Basic info about this family:
>
> Reinholt Roth, born Königbergen (Eastern-Prussia) 28.9.1623, army
> captain Danmark (1657-1669) and the Netherlands (1672-±1687), died
> Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) appr. 1687, descendant from a merchants family from
> Königsbergen (see details at http://de-wit.net/genovz/deroth.html },
> married (marriage banns Utrecht and Amsterdam (NL) 24/28.12.1652) Maria
> Saulmon, born appr. 1630, died Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) appr. 1672, also
> descendant from a merchants family (see details at
> http://de-wit.net/genovz/kwestie-saulmont.htm ).
>
> When Reinholt came to Danmark he started, in his brother’s (Hendrik)
> regiment Linderot (Hendrik Roth was ennobled as Hendrik Linderot in
> 1646, see Danmarks Adels Årbug), but in the battle around Fredericia in
> 1657, his brother Hendrik was killed, the Danish army was beated by the
> Swedish army and Reinholt was kept in prison for a while.
> Reinholt than came in Ulrik Christian Güldenlöwes dragoons regiment,
> later in the Queens regiment. Some global info, as far as known, on
> where he was stationed in Danmark:
> - 1657 Fredericia
> - July 1659 Copenhagen
> - February 1661 Kronborg (Helsingör)
> - November 1661 order to go to Nyborg (likely for a short time)
> - 1668 Kronborg
>
> The couple had children, most of them probably were born in Danmark:
> 1. Louisa Adelgonda, baptised Amsterdam (NL) 28.10.1654
> 2. Maria Dorthea
> 3. Reinhold
> 4. Hendrik
> 5. .... (perhaps a child was born in Helsingör 20.7.1664)
> 6. Elardus Magnus, probably born Kronborg (20.7.1669?)
> 7. Johannes, baptised Egmond a/d Hoef (NL) 9.2.1670
>
> In the periode 1661-1669 the captain Reinholt Roth and his wife Maria
> Saulmon (Salomons) are mentioned a few times in parishal records of St.
> Maræ (Elseneur).
> In 1669 or 1670 the family returned to the Netherlands.
>
> Note: the children Reinhold and Hendrik were in their fathers’ company
> already in 1662 (it was usual to have very small kids ‘on the pay-roll’
> to get extra income). Reinhold junior was found in this company till 1668.
>
> Any additional information about this family will be appreciated very much!

the danish military archive is in the national archives Slotsholm Copenhagen

to use them you need to be fluent in gotisk håndskrift
my own expertise is from about 1840 to the present day in Demakr
Enmgland and Wales

a better point of contact will be

DIS-Danmark - english
DIS-Danmark is an association of genealogical researchers which uses
data ... DIS-Danmark has an active homepage where you can find
information about the ...
www.dis-danmark.dk/dis-english.asp

DIS-Danmark - Databehandling i Slægtsforskning
DIS-Danmarks HjemmeSide med informationer og henvisninger.
www.dis-danmark.dk/

this group is in relevant decline

and Denmark is on holiday until august
with the archives closed on Saturdays for the summer

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dis-danmark&btnG=Google+Search

if there are no danish descendants there is unlikely to be any other
research going on here

The other danish records of this period are very much about land
ownership and inheritance

so if no Roth estate no papers

he of course may be mentioned in military diaries
so you need to search the national index of the collections of private
archives contaning letters and papers of fellow officers

- on a dark and sticky evening in Copenhagen

mvh

Hugh W

man de Wit

--

new computer = new blog
http://mac-on-intel.blogspot.com/

daily blogs with new photos
http://snaps2006.blogspot.com/
http://slim2005.blogspot.com/

family history
http://hughw36.blogspot.com

Fra : Herman de Wit

Dato : 28-07-06 22:11

Thanks for your reply/info Hugh!

<...>
> The other danish records of this period are very much about land
> ownership and inheritance
>
> so if no Roth estate no papers
>
> he of course may be mentioned in military diaries
> so you need to search the national index of the collections of private
> archives contaning letters and papers of fellow officers
>
> - on a dark and sticky evening in Copenhagen

Many years ago already some research in military archives is done in
Copenhagen, that's were the military Danish data are from.

I think Roth does had some estate, probably in the area of Helsingör
(Kronborg). In a manuscript kept in Capetown (South-Africa), made around
1770 in the Netherlands, Reinholt Roth is called 'Baron of Cronenburg
and Den Hoef'. Baron is not correct, he never was ennobled. With
Cronenburg (Dutch) Kronborg is meant, Den Hoef is short for the Dutch
village Egmond aan den Hoef, were Roth had an estate. Therefore there is
a change a Roth estate was somewhere around Kronborg.

I hope someone has a connection with this man/family, but I do realize
chances are limited.

Kind regards,
Herman de Wit
--
genealogie-genealogy:
http://geneaknowhow.net/

Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 28-07-06 22:49

Herman de Wit wrote:

> Thanks for your reply/info Hugh!
>

> <...>
>
>> The other danish records of this period are very much about land
>> ownership and inheritance
>>
>> so if no Roth estate no papers
>>
>> he of course may be mentioned in military diaries
>> so you need to search the national index of the collections of private
>> archives contaning letters and papers of fellow officers
>>
>> - on a dark and sticky evening in Copenhagen
>

> Many years ago already some research in military archives is done in
> Copenhagen, that's were the military Danish data are from.
>
> I think Roth does had some estate, probably in the area of Helsingör
> (Kronborg). In a manuscript kept in Capetown (South-Africa), made around
> 1770 in the Netherlands, Reinholt Roth is called 'Baron of Cronenburg
> and Den Hoef'. Baron is not correct, he never was ennobled. With
> Cronenburg (Dutch) Kronborg is meant, Den Hoef is short for the Dutch
> village Egmond aan den Hoef, were Roth had an estate. Therefore there is
> a change a Roth estate was somewhere around Kronborg.
>
> I hope someone has a connection with this man/family, but I do realize
> chances are limited.

the only ROTH I know of are a living family of distinction from Jutland

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/

Learn Helpful Information and Interesting Facts about Your Surname & More
#    What country did most people with your surname come from?
# What does your name mean?
# Learn answers to these questions and many more.
# Learn tips to help with your research.
http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/Fact.aspx?fid=10&ln=roth

roth

1. German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): nickname for a person with red
hair, from Middle High German rot, German rot ‘red’. As a Jewish surname
it is also at least partly ornamental: its frequency as a Jewish surname
is disproportionate to the number of Jews who, one may reasonably
assume, were red-headed during the period of surname adoption.

2. German and English: topographic name for someone who lived on
land that had been cleared, Old High German rod, Old English rod, roð.

[danish -rup]

3. German: from a short form of any of the various Germanic personal
names with the first element hrod ‘renown’. Compare Rode 1, Ross 3.

which means the majority of ROTH are NOT related to each other

from

Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, ISBN
0-19-508137-4

sorry

Hugh W