Bird ID help please !! ID3
Fra : Beng

Dato : 24-07-05 12:28

Hi.

Which bird is this ?

Note red band at tailbase !

Style, location, behavior and size fits Bluethroat, but my book (Collins
Bird Guide) doesn't describe juvenile Bluethroat very well and no
picture.

My guess = Juvenile Bluethroat(Luscinia svecica).

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm

Thanks !

//Ben

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 24-07-05 12:48

Beng wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Which bird is this ?
>
> Note red band at tailbase !
>
> Style, location, behavior and size fits Bluethroat, but my book
> (Collins Bird Guide) doesn't describe juvenile Bluethroat very well
> and no picture.
>
> My guess = Juvenile Bluethroat(Luscinia svecica).
>
> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm

Then you should try and get hold of 'Birds of Europe', by Lars Jonsson
(who is Swedish ). From page 389 you will see that this is indeed
a juvenile Bluethroat.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Beng

Dato : 24-07-05 13:06

"Phil Wilson" <philip.wilson@talk21.com> wrote in news:42e38007$0$18640
$14726298@news.sunsite.dk:

> Beng wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Which bird is this ?
>>
>> Note red band at tailbase !
>>
>> Style, location, behavior and size fits Bluethroat, but my book
>> (Collins Bird Guide) doesn't describe juvenile Bluethroat very well
>> and no picture.
>>
>> My guess = Juvenile Bluethroat(Luscinia svecica).
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>

> Then you should try and get hold of 'Birds of Europe', by Lars Jonsson
> (who is Swedish ). From page 389 you will see that this is indeed
> a juvenile Bluethroat.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Phil

Ok, thanks !

Do you recommend that book? or maybe some other good book ?

That Jonsson book seems to be from 1999.. a little old I think..

//Ben

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 24-07-05 13:12

Beng wrote:

>> Then you should try and get hold of 'Birds of Europe', by Lars
>> Jonsson (who is Swedish ). From page 389 you will see that this
>> is indeed a juvenile Bluethroat.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Ok, thanks !
>
> Do you recommend that book? or maybe some other good book ?
>
> That Jonsson book seems to be from 1999.. a little old I think..

Well, I'm from 1953, and I've still got a lot of mileage in me yet. I
do like most of Jonsson's work, with reservations (too tedious and
minor to go into in detail) about some of it. Overall, yes, it is an
excellent book. For taking into the field, get the paperback, as the
hardback is way too heavy. Presumably there is an original Swedish
version.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 24-07-05 13:02

In article <Xns969D88FB6D730xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Hi.
>
>Which bird is this ?
>
>Note red band at tailbase !
>
>Style, location, behavior and size fits Bluethroat, but my book (Collins
>Bird Guide) doesn't describe juvenile Bluethroat very well and no
>picture.

I think it does describe it quite well, because it says: "In all
plumages told by obvious whitish supercilium and rusty-red patch on
sides of tail-base", which thus refers to juvenile, as does the
sentence: "Juvenile: finely spotted like juvenile Robin, but note tail
markings."

>My guess = Juvenile Bluethroat(Luscinia svecica).
>
>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm

Like the book says!

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng

Dato : 24-07-05 13:28

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:W5cg+2ARN44CFwT2
@indaal.demon.co.uk:

> In article <Xns969D88FB6D730xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>Hi.
>>
>>Which bird is this ?
>>
>>Note red band at tailbase !
>>
>>Style, location, behavior and size fits Bluethroat, but my book
(Collins
>>Bird Guide) doesn't describe juvenile Bluethroat very well and no
>>picture.
>>
> I think it does describe it quite well, because it says: "In all
> plumages told by obvious whitish supercilium and rusty-red patch on
> sides of tail-base", which thus refers to juvenile, as does the
> sentence: "Juvenile: finely spotted like juvenile Robin, but note tail
> markings."
>
>>My guess = Juvenile Bluethroat(Luscinia svecica).
>>
>>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>>
> Like the book says!

Well.. yes... so it says... but my english ain't so good.. I have to
guess a lot..

Otherwise I really like the Collins-book, but it lacks some juvenil
descriptions..

I WILL buy a second book.. don't know which yet..

//Ben