ID help please, ID 8
Fra : Beng

Dato : 15-06-05 18:35

Hi.

(greater) Scaup or Tufted duck ?

My guess, Scaup because of headshape and the white around female bill.

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id8/id8.htm

Thanks

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 15-06-05 19:18

In article <Xns9676C72CAA8A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Hi.
>
>(greater) Scaup or Tufted duck ?
>
>My guess, Scaup because of headshape and the white around female bill.

Assuming it is the same bird in all the photographs, it is a female
Tufted, not least because it is accompanying a male Tufted in two of the
photos and is very obviously the same size and shape. White round the
bill is not diagnostic of Scaup as plenty of Tufted have this, too. See
the illustrations in the Collins Bird Guide, which I think you said you
had.

--
Malcolm

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 15-06-05 21:25

Malcolm wrote:
> In article <Xns9676C72CAA8A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>> Hi.
>>
>> (greater) Scaup or Tufted duck ?
>>
>> My guess, Scaup because of headshape and the white around female
>> bill.
> Assuming it is the same bird in all the photographs, it is a female
> Tufted, not least because it is accompanying a male Tufted in two of
> the photos and is very obviously the same size and shape. White round
> the bill is not diagnostic of Scaup as plenty of Tufted have this,
> too. See the illustrations in the Collins Bird Guide, which I think
> you said you had.

Its a Scaup

Look at the lenght and shape of the bill, especialy the black "tooth" at
the end.
Tufted Duck is different, with broader black end of bill and a lighter
band inside.
Especially pic. 1 shows the differences.
Female breeding plumage of Scaup varies a lot.

Mikkel

Fra : Christina Websell

Dato : 15-06-05 21:54

"Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
> Malcolm wrote:
>> In article <Xns9676C72CAA8A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> (greater) Scaup or Tufted duck ?
>>>
>>> My guess, Scaup because of headshape and the white around female
>>> bill.
>> Assuming it is the same bird in all the photographs, it is a female
>> Tufted, not least because it is accompanying a male Tufted in two of
>> the photos and is very obviously the same size and shape. White round
>> the bill is not diagnostic of Scaup as plenty of Tufted have this,
>> too. See the illustrations in the Collins Bird Guide, which I think
>> you said you had.
>
> Its a Scaup
>
> Look at the lenght and shape of the bill, especialy the black "tooth" at
> the end.
> Tufted Duck is different, with broader black end of bill and a lighter
> band inside.
> Especially pic. 1 shows the differences.
> Female breeding plumage of Scaup varies a lot.
>
> Mikkel

I think it's a female Tufted.

Tina

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 15-06-05 21:57

Christina Websell wrote:
> "Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
>> Malcolm wrote:
>>> In article <Xns9676C72CAA8A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes

>>> Assuming it is the same bird in all the photographs, it is a female
>>> Tufted, not least because it is accompanying a male Tufted in two of
>>> the photos and is very obviously the same size and shape. White
>>> round the bill is not diagnostic of Scaup as plenty of Tufted have
>>> this, too. See the illustrations in the Collins Bird Guide, which I
>>> think you said you had.
>>
>> Its a Scaup
>>
>> Look at the lenght and shape of the bill, especialy the black
>> "tooth" at the end.
>> Tufted Duck is different, with broader black end of bill and a
>> lighter band inside.
>> Especially pic. 1 shows the differences.
>> Female breeding plumage of Scaup varies a lot.
>>
>> Mikkel
>
> I think it's a female Tufted.
>
> Tina

Why ?

Mikkel

Fra : Christina Websell

Dato : 16-06-05 19:17

> Christina Websell wrote:
>> "Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in message

>>> Its a Scaup
>>>
>>> Look at the lenght and shape of the bill, especialy the black
>>> "tooth" at the end.
>>> Tufted Duck is different, with broader black end of bill and a
>>> lighter band inside.
>>> Especially pic. 1 shows the differences.
>>> Female breeding plumage of Scaup varies a lot.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>
>> I think it's a female Tufted.
>>
>> Tina
>
> Why ?
>
> Mikkel

The first photo, poor quality, might be a female Scaup (white above beak)
but none of the other pictures show the wing barring I would associate with
female Scaup, they all look brown on top, which makes me think it is a
female tufted.

Tina

Fra : Thor

Dato : 15-06-05 22:00

Hej Mikkel

Hvad er en Scaup - Bjergand?

mvh Thor

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 15-06-05 22:04

Thor wrote:
> Hej Mikkel
>
> Hvad er en Scaup - Bjergand?

Hej Thor

Scaup (Aythya marila) = Bjergand (Danish)

Mikkel

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 16-06-05 07:28

In article <3C0se.55581$Fe7.171441@news000.worldonline.dk>, Jens Mikkel
Lausten <mlausten@worldonline.dk> writes
>Christina Websell wrote:
>> "Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in message

>>> Its a Scaup
>>>
>>> Look at the lenght and shape of the bill, especialy the black
>>> "tooth" at the end.
>>> Tufted Duck is different, with broader black end of bill and a
>>> lighter band inside.
>>> Especially pic. 1 shows the differences.
>>> Female breeding plumage of Scaup varies a lot.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>
>> I think it's a female Tufted.
>>
>> Tina
>
>Why ?

Mikkel

The bottom two photographs show a female Aythya accompanying a male
Tufted Duck. The last but one photograph is of an unmistakable female
Tufted Duck, just compare its size and shape with the male, and I am
reasonably certain the last photograph is of the same pair. It is
possible that you are right that the first three photographs are of a
female Scaup, but their quality is poorer than that of the two
photographs showing the pair of ducks so I concentrated on those.

I suspect that Beng has included photographs of two different species on
the same page. He has done this before and it makes the identification
he keeps requesting that much harder, the more especially when the two
species are quite similar as here.

--
Malcolm

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 16-06-05 10:39

Hello Malcolm
Malcolm wrote:
> The bottom two photographs show a female Aythya accompanying a male
> Tufted Duck. The last but one photograph is of an unmistakable female
> Tufted Duck, just compare its size and shape with the male, and I am
> reasonably certain the last photograph is of the same pair. It is
> possible that you are right that the first three photographs are of a
> female Scaup, but their quality is poorer than that of the two
> photographs showing the pair of ducks so I concentrated on those.

You cant identify ducks/geese on size alone, thet are among the most
variable !
Scaup can be of almost the same size as Tufted Duck; see 5522 below.
The head shape/bill lenght and patterne clearly identify the bird as a
Scaup.
If you can't identify the bird on the 4 upper pictures (of ok quality,
they show the diagnostick fieldcaracters),
how can you then identify the 5th, which is of much poorer quality ??
Female Tufted Ducks have tufts, which will give the head a more square
shape.
The female bird have a rounded head on all pictures.

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=5033
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=6446
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=5522

Look carefully at the bill lenght/shape/color.
I will not identify no 5.

Mikkel

Fra : Beng

Dato : 16-06-05 22:22

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> In article <3C0se.55581$Fe7.171441@news000.worldonline.dk>, Jens
Mikkel
> Lausten <mlausten@worldonline.dk> writes
>>Christina Websell wrote:
>>> "Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
Beng

>>> I think it's a female Tufted.
>>>
>>> Tina
>>
>>Why ?
>>

> Mikkel
>
> The bottom two photographs show a female Aythya accompanying a male
> Tufted Duck. The last but one photograph is of an unmistakable female
> Tufted Duck, just compare its size and shape with the male, and I am
> reasonably certain the last photograph is of the same pair. It is
> possible that you are right that the first three photographs are of a
> female Scaup, but their quality is poorer than that of the two
> photographs showing the pair of ducks so I concentrated on those.
>
> I suspect that Beng has included photographs of two different species
on
> the same page. He has done this before and it makes the identification
> he keeps requesting that much harder, the more especially when the two
> species are quite similar as here.

Yes, sometimes I have confused my pictures.. but NOT this time.. its the
same birds in all photos.. there were only 2 birds present..

But this shows how difficult Tufted/Scaup is ?

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 16-06-05 12:04

In article <wMbse.55652$Fe7.171859@news000.worldonline.dk>, Jens Mikkel
Lausten <mlausten@worldonline.dk> writes
>Hello Malcolm
>Malcolm wrote:
>> The bottom two photographs show a female Aythya accompanying a male
>> Tufted Duck. The last but one photograph is of an unmistakable female
>> Tufted Duck, just compare its size and shape with the male, and I am
>> reasonably certain the last photograph is of the same pair. It is
>> possible that you are right that the first three photographs are of a
>> female Scaup, but their quality is poorer than that of the two
>> photographs showing the pair of ducks so I concentrated on those.
>
>You cant identify ducks/geese on size alone, thet are among the most
>variable !
>Scaup can be of almost the same size as Tufted Duck; see 5522 below.
>The head shape/bill lenght and patterne clearly identify the bird as a
>Scaup.
>If you can't identify the bird on the 4 upper pictures (of ok quality,
>they show the diagnostick fieldcaracters),
>how can you then identify the 5th, which is of much poorer quality ??
>Female Tufted Ducks have tufts, which will give the head a more square
>shape.
>The female bird have a rounded head on all pictures.
>
>http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=5033
>http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=6446
>http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=5522
>
>Look carefully at the bill lenght/shape/color.
>I will not identify no 5.

I am still of the opinion that the bird alongside the male Tufted Duck
is a female Tufted Duck!

--
Malcolm