ID help please !
Fra : Beng

Dato : 03-06-05 16:04

This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this time.

Photos rather bad..

Thanks for trying !

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm

//Ben

Fra : Concept Gardens

Dato : 03-06-05 16:17

"Beng" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this time.
>
> Photos rather bad..
>
> Thanks for trying !
>
> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>
> //Ben

First reaction White Throat?

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 03-06-05 17:10

Concept Gardens wrote:
> "Beng" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
>> This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this
>> time.
>>
>> Photos rather bad..
>>
>> Thanks for trying !
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>>
>> //Ben
>
> First reaction White Throat?

It is not a Sylvia !. It's a Phylloscopus.
There a 3 possible species.

Chiffchaff (P. collybita) the bird seems to be to brightly colored,
normaly gives a more dull impression.

Willow Warbler (P. trochilus) most likely this species.

Arctic Warbler (P. borealis) very rare.
Bill seems to short. Supecillum not long enough, eystripe should be more
prominent.

Didn't the bird sing ??
Its very easy to hear the differences between the 3 species.

Willow Warbler http://www.ltn.lv/~alba/sounds/phytro.mp3
Chiffchaff http://www.ltn.lv/~alba/sounds/phycol.mp3
Arctic Warbler http://www.dutchbirding.nl/sounds/borealisd.mp3

Haven't you any books ? Most books will tell you what to look for when
trying to identifying birds.

Picture no. 6 is not the same bird, could be a Lesser Whitethroat
(Sylvia curruca).

Mikkel

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 03-06-05 17:47

Jens Mikkel Lausten wrote:
> Willow Warbler (P. trochilus) most likely this species.

Agreed. I think all six are Willow Warbler and the same bird. The clue
is in the longish wings. Chiffchaffs have short wings, and they
tail-flick. I actually think Bird 6 is the same bird but the photo is
slightly darker. The shape is completely wrong for Lesser Whitethroat
to me, and the colours don't look to good for that species , which is
quite dark slate-grey-brown above, and has underparts vaying across
the body from silky off-white to brown-buff flanks, either. Lesser
Whitehroat is a actually a quite 'smooth-' and neat-looking bird.
They also have a prominent dark 'mask' and a really white throat
as might be expected.
This bird actually looks like it might be Phylloscopus trochilus
acredula,
as they look a bit less yellowish and greyer than the British race
although I'm no expert and have never seen one that I know of.
But all 'phylloscs' are occasionally quite horrible.

--
Phil
http://philip.fotoblog.me.uk

Fra : Stephen Poley

Dato : 03-06-05 18:07

On 3 Jun 2005 15:03:32 GMT, Beng <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote:

>This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this time.
>
>Photos rather bad..
>
>Thanks for trying !
>
>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>
>//Ben

A Phylloscopus warbler, probably Willow Warbler.

Picture 6, which you say is perhaps not the same bird, is definitely not
the same bird. I'd suggest a flycatcher - probably Spotted, or perhaps a
poorly-marked female Pied.

--
Stephen Poley
uk.rec.birdwatching FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrb.htm

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 03-06-05 19:20

Stephen Poley wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2005 15:03:32 GMT, Beng <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote:
>
>> This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this
>> time.
>>
>> Photos rather bad..
>>
>> Thanks for trying !
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>>
>> //Ben
>
> A Phylloscopus warbler, probably Willow Warbler.
>
> Picture 6, which you say is perhaps not the same bird, is definitely
> not the same bird. I'd suggest a flycatcher - probably Spotted, or
> perhaps a poorly-marked female Pied.

A spottet Flycatcher is spottet on the breast, which the bird on the
picture is not. Besides the body/headshape is wrong. The wing is way to
short. On Spottet the bill is longer and much broader at the base.
Pied is not an option, you will never find a female with out clearly
white on the wing, tertials, grater coverts.

Mikkel

Fra : Stephen Poley

Dato : 03-06-05 20:34

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:19:38 +0200, "Jens Mikkel Lausten"
<mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote:

>Stephen Poley wrote:
>> On 3 Jun 2005 15:03:32 GMT, Beng <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote:
>>
>>> This time it's REALLY hard.. I think. I don't even have a guess this
>>> time.
>>>
>>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm
>>>
>> A Phylloscopus warbler, probably Willow Warbler.
>>
>> Picture 6, which you say is perhaps not the same bird, is definitely
>> not the same bird. I'd suggest a flycatcher - probably Spotted, or
>> perhaps a poorly-marked female Pied.
>
>A spottet Flycatcher is spottet on the breast, which the bird on the
>picture is not.

I'm not convinced the photo is sharp enough to exclude that. The
spotting can be pretty indistinct.

> Besides the body/headshape is wrong.

Is it?

>The wing is way to short.

I don't see how you can say that, given that the wing tip is behind
twigs.

>On Spottet the bill is longer and much broader at the base.

I am inclined to agree with you on this point.

>Pied is not an option, you will never find a female with out clearly
>white on the wing, tertials, grater coverts.

Not true - I have seen at least one myself with only faint white lining
on the wing, which might not show up in the shadow in this photo.

On the other hand you suggested Lesser Whitethroat, but I've never seen
a Lesser Whitethroat as poorly marked on the head as this bird - there
isn't really even a trace of a facial mask. In the north of Sweden it
would also be out of its normal range.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 03-06-05 22:33

Stephen Poley wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:19:38 +0200, "Jens Mikkel Lausten"
> <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Poley wrote:

>>> A Phylloscopus warbler, probably Willow Warbler.
>>>
>>> Picture 6, which you say is perhaps not the same bird, is definitely
>>> not the same bird. I'd suggest a flycatcher - probably Spotted, or
>>> perhaps a poorly-marked female Pied.
>>
>> A spottet Flycatcher is spottet on the breast, which the bird on the
>> picture is not.
>
> I'm not convinced the photo is sharp enough to exclude that. The
> spotting can be pretty indistinct.
>
>> Besides the body/headshape is wrong.
>
> Is it?
>
>> The wing is way to short.
>
> I don't see how you can say that, given that the wing tip is behind
> twigs.
>
>> On Spottet the bill is longer and much broader at the base.
>
> I am inclined to agree with you on this point.
>
>> Pied is not an option, you will never find a female with out clearly
>> white on the wing, tertials, grater coverts.
>
> Not true - I have seen at least one myself with only faint white
> lining on the wing, which might not show up in the shadow in this
> photo.

You said it....might not.
I have tried with photoshop to blow up some details. There are
absolutely no white markings at all.
But i can see the darker alula feathers contrasting to the brown-grey
wingcoverts...

> On the other hand you suggested Lesser Whitethroat, but I've never
> seen a Lesser Whitethroat as poorly marked on the head as this bird -
> there isn't really even a trace of a facial mask. In the north of
> Sweden it would also be out of its normal range.

That depends on where "the north of Sweden" is.

> Anyone got any better suggestions?

I will try and ask about the picture in a danish birdgroup.
I cannot prove my words. The pictures are not very good.
I am using jizz, Im using what I can see from the pictures

Have many birds have you laid your fingers on ?

Mikkel

Fra : Beng

Dato : 04-06-05 09:48

"Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in news:1%
3oe.52455$Fe7.148230@news000.worldonline.dk:

> Stephen Poley wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 20:19:38 +0200, "Jens Mikkel Lausten"
>> <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote:

>>> A spottet Flycatcher is spottet on the breast, which the bird on the
>>> picture is not.
>>
>> I'm not convinced the photo is sharp enough to exclude that. The
>> spotting can be pretty indistinct.
>>
>>> Besides the body/headshape is wrong.
>>
>> Is it?
>>
>>> The wing is way to short.
>>
>> I don't see how you can say that, given that the wing tip is behind
>> twigs.
>>
>>> On Spottet the bill is longer and much broader at the base.
>>
>> I am inclined to agree with you on this point.
>>
>>> Pied is not an option, you will never find a female with out clearly
>>> white on the wing, tertials, grater coverts.
>>
>> Not true - I have seen at least one myself with only faint white
>> lining on the wing, which might not show up in the shadow in this
>> photo.
>
> You said it....might not.
> I have tried with photoshop to blow up some details. There are
> absolutely no white markings at all.
> But i can see the darker alula feathers contrasting to the brown-grey
> wingcoverts...
>
>> On the other hand you suggested Lesser Whitethroat, but I've never
>> seen a Lesser Whitethroat as poorly marked on the head as this bird -
>> there isn't really even a trace of a facial mask. In the north of
>> Sweden it would also be out of its normal range.
>
> That depends on where "the north of Sweden" is.
>
>> Anyone got any better suggestions?
>
> I will try and ask about the picture in a danish birdgroup.
> I cannot prove my words. The pictures are not very good.
> I am using jizz, Im using what I can see from the pictures
>
> Have many birds have you laid your fingers on ?
>
> Mikkel

As I thought.. this one WAS hard. I have listened to the sounds someone
provided here.. and it sounds like Chiffchaff!

But the pictures are to bad.. so I will leave it unidentified..

Thanks for your effort !

//Ben

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 04-06-05 10:34

Beng wrote:

> As I thought.. this one WAS hard. I have listened to the sounds
> someone provided here.. and it sounds like Chiffchaff!
>
> But the pictures are to bad.. so I will leave it unidentified..
>
> Thanks for your effort !

Hello Beng

Could you tell us exactly where i Sweden the photos (all your photos ?)
are taken.

Mikkel

Fra : Beng

Dato : 04-06-05 14:22

> Beng wrote:
>
>> As I thought.. this one WAS hard. I have listened to the sounds
>> someone provided here.. and it sounds like Chiffchaff!
>>
>> But the pictures are to bad.. so I will leave it unidentified..
>>
>> Thanks for your effort !
>>
> Hello Beng
>
> Could you tell us exactly where i Sweden the photos (all your photos
?)
> are taken.
>
> Mikkel

They are taken in Abisko, about 100km northwest of Kiruna in north of
Sweden.

I have a NEW bird for you soon ;)

//Ben

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 04-06-05 15:48

>> Could you tell us exactly where i Sweden the photos (all your photos
>> ?) are taken.
>>
>> Mikkel
>>

> They are taken in Abisko, about 100km northwest of Kiruna in north of
> Sweden.
>
> I have a NEW bird for you soon ;)

Hello Beng

Thanks.