Scaup ? ID help please
Fra : Beng

Dato : 02-06-05 12:37

Hello again.

Scaup (Aythya marila) or Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula) ?

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm

Thanks

//Ben

Fra : Pheasant Plucker

Dato : 02-06-05 13:57

Tufted ducks : 1
Scaup : 0

Fra : Björn Lilja

Dato : 02-06-05 17:10

"Pheasant Plucker" <pheasant.plucker@ntlworld.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Tufted ducks : 1
> Scaup : 0
>

> Beng wrote:
> > Hello again.
> >
> > Scaup (Aythya marila) or Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula) ?
> >
> > http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > //Ben

very strange head shape for being a tufted duck. The head looks more like a
scaup to me. Maybe somkind of a hybrid?

Fra : Beng

Dato : 02-06-05 17:24

"Björn Lilja" <bl@j.com> wrote in

> "Pheasant Plucker" <pheasant.plucker@ntlworld.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Tufted ducks : 1
>> Scaup : 0
>>

>> Beng wrote:
>> > Hello again.
>> >
>> > Scaup (Aythya marila) or Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula) ?
>> >
>> > http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > //Ben
>>

> very strange head shape for being a tufted duck. The head looks more
> like a scaup to me. Maybe somkind of a hybrid?

So...

Tufted ducks : 1
Scaup : 1
Hybrid: 0

//Ben

Fra : Stephen Poley

Dato : 02-06-05 19:35

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 16:10:05 GMT, "Björn Lilja" <bl@j.com> wrote:

>"Pheasant Plucker" <pheasant.plucker@ntlworld.com> skrev i meddelandet
>> Tufted ducks : 1
>> Scaup : 0
>>

>> Beng wrote:
>> > Hello again.
>> >
>> > Scaup (Aythya marila) or Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula) ?
>> >
>> > http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > //Ben
>
>very strange head shape for being a tufted duck. The head looks more like a
>scaup to me. Maybe somkind of a hybrid?

Certainly not Scaup with that clear-cut contrast between back and
flanks. Perhaps it's just a little fat-headed, and a bit lacking in the
crest department, but it doesn't look to me particularly strange for
Tufted Duck.

--
Stephen Poley
uk.rec.birdwatching FAQ: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/ukrb.htm

Fra : markvanderv1@yahoo.c~

Dato : 02-06-05 22:58

>Scaup (Aythya marila) or Tufted duck (Aythya fuligula) ?

With a dark back like that it clearly is not a scaup. It's head is
lowered, perhaps lending to the confusion in making a firm ID.
Nonetheless, it is a Tufted Duck.