Yes, help to ID again !
Fra : Beng

Dato : 14-05-05 23:46

Hi.

This time even WORSE pictures..

But maybe someone can help ?

Maybe a falcon? a hawk ? a Buzzard ? or ?

Taken in north of Sweden.. size.. eh.. rather big... maybe.. something
between 40-50 cm body+tail.

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id3/id3.htm

Thanks

//Ben

Fra : Andrew McGleish

Dato : 15-05-05 08:19

Ben
The general impression, shape etc makes me think it's either Buzzard (buteo
buteo) or Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus). I'm quite familiar with
Buzzards in my area and wouldn't worry too much about making this ID here.
I'm not familar with Rough-legged Buzzard and If I was in your area I'd
probably want to look a bit harder at the bird. Both species can have the
dark areas under the wings and on the breast that seem to be present in your
photos. I can't find any european falcons or hawks which have these dark
patches.

HTH
Andrew

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 15-05-05 09:20

Andrew McGleish wrote:
> Ben
> The general impression, shape etc makes me think it's either Buzzard
> (buteo buteo) or Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus). I'm quite
> familiar with Buzzards in my area and wouldn't worry too much about
> making this ID here. I'm not familar with Rough-legged Buzzard and
> If
> I was in your area I'd probably want to look a bit harder at the
> bird. Both species can have the dark areas under the wings and on
> the
> breast that seem to be present in your photos. I can't find any
> european falcons or hawks which have these dark patches.

It looks like a Rough-legged Buzzard to me. The head is small in
comparison to the wingspan, and the tail is longish. The dark belly
patch, clearly separated from the pale upper breast and head area is
typical of Rough-legged Buzzard as are the dark clearly defined carpal
patches (at the join of the outer and inner wing), and the wings
appear also to be rather longer than Common.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 12:46

Seems to me the classic shape of a Harrier

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 15-05-05 13:14

kestrel wrote:
> Seems to me the classic shape of a Harrier

Rough-legged Buzzard is indeed sometimes reminiscent of an over-sized
Harrier Unfortunately I don't know of any British Harrier with a
dark belly patch and pale head combination.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 15-05-05 13:15

Phil Wilson wrote:
> kestrel wrote:
>> Seems to me the classic shape of a Harrier
>
> Rough-legged Buzzard is indeed sometimes reminiscent of an
> over-sized
> Harrier Unfortunately I don't know of any British Harrier with
> dark belly patch and pale head combination.

I forgot this bird was in Sweden. Substiute 'European' for British.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 16:42

What about monts Harrier? Dnno if that's found in Sweden though?

Shape fits + pale head?

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 16:50

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 15-05-05 18:08

kestrel wrote:
> "kestrel" <fiquid@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> What about monts Harrier? Dnno if that's found in Sweden though?

I think the above is what you added.

I think if you examine the wing-formula (the length and shape of the
outer primaries) and check it against a reptable guide (e.g. Forsman's
book) , you'll find that this cannot be a Harrier. It certainly
doesn't look anything like one to me.

And I still don't see that you could have a combination of very dark
belly, with clear cut-off line) and very pale head in any Harrier.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 20:20

Where you get pale head from?

Fra : Phil Wilson

Dato : 15-05-05 22:31

kestrel wrote:
> Where you get pale head from?

By putting the photo through my photo-editor, and cautiously adjusting
the tone levels. The bird quite clearly has a dark belly patch and a
pale upper breast and head when I do that.

But even leaving that aside, the whole jizz of the bird shouts Buzzard
to me, and not Harrier, which are really quite slim birds. Even the
largest, the Marsh, does not have the bulk of a Buzzard.

Cheers,

Phil

Fra : Beng

Dato : 15-05-05 13:35

"Andrew McGleish" <amcgleish.doesnt.dospam@netscape.net> wrote in

> Ben
> The general impression, shape etc makes me think it's either Buzzard
> (buteo buteo) or Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus). I'm quite
> familiar with Buzzards in my area and wouldn't worry too much about
> making this ID here. I'm not familar with Rough-legged Buzzard and If
> I was in your area I'd probably want to look a bit harder at the bird.
> Both species can have the dark areas under the wings and on the breast
> that seem to be present in your photos. I can't find any european
> falcons or hawks which have these dark patches.
>

> HTH
> Andrew

Thanks for the answers.

I went upp there again and took a closer look.

Everytning together says that it must be a Rough-legged Buzzard.

//Ben

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 16:45

Doesn't seem the right shape for me? for a Buzzard?

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 16:46

Try get more pics??

Fra : Beng

Dato : 15-05-05 20:26

"kestrel" <fiquid@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in news:V7Khe.6462$sE4.3589
@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

> Doesn't seem the right shape for me? for a Buzzard?

No.. thats why I posted the Q here. But I think it still IS a Rough-
legged Buzzard. The camera is "lying".. it was very difficult conditions
and I had to move the camera while taking the pic .

The tail also look longer at some of the pics than it really was..

But I went there today and saw clearly dark patches under the light
wings, and the size is like Buzzard and the sound to !

//Ben

Fra : kestrel

Dato : 15-05-05 20:31