ID help please !
Fra : Beng

Dato : 29-04-05 14:13

Hi.

What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?

http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 29-04-05 19:33

In article <Xns96479AB9D5962xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Hi.
>
>What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>
>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm

Beng,

Isn't it about time you invested in a book?

Try the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson and Mullarney. There isn't a
better.

See it at www.wildlifebooks.com

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng

Dato : 01-05-05 10:11

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> In article <Xns96479AB9D5962xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>Hi.
>>
>>What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>>
>>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>
> Beng,
>
> Isn't it about time you invested in a book?
>
> Try the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson and Mullarney. There isn't a
> better.
>
> See it at www.wildlifebooks.com

I have that book. But to ask here gives more. Anything wrong with that ?

//Ben

Fra : Jerry Avins

Dato : 01-05-05 19:11

Beng wrote:
> Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>

>>In article <Xns96479AB9D5962xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>><xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>>>
>>>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>>
>>Beng,
>>
>>Isn't it about time you invested in a book?
>>
>>Try the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson and Mullarney. There isn't a
>>better.
>>
>>See it at www.wildlifebooks.com
>>

> I have that book. But to ask here gives more. Anything wrong with that ?

Not at all. However, you are likely to get more yet if you use the book
first.

Jerry

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 29-04-05 20:36

Beng wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>
> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm

Yes, female Chaffinch.

Mikkel

Fra : Beng

Dato : 01-05-05 10:11

"Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in news:00wce.477
$Fe7.16726@news000.worldonline.dk:

> Beng wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>
> Yes, female Chaffinch.
>
> Mikkel

Yes.. thanks !

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 01-05-05 10:48

In article <Xns964971BBC96A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>

>> In article <Xns96479AB9D5962xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>What is this bird ? Maybe a Chaffinch ?
>>>
>>>http://orre.mine.nu/id/id1/id1.htm
>>
>> Beng,
>>
>> Isn't it about time you invested in a book?
>>
>> Try the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson and Mullarney. There isn't a
>> better.
>>
>> See it at www.wildlifebooks.com
>>

>I have that book. But to ask here gives more. Anything wrong with that ?

No, I was just recommending a good book and am pleased to learn that you
already have it.

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng

Dato : 01-05-05 17:55

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:1ugY7VX3WKdCFw
$f@indaal.demon.co.uk:

> In article <Xns964971BBC96A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>>

>>> In article <Xns96479AB9D5962xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes

>>> Beng,
>>>
>>> Isn't it about time you invested in a book?
>>>
>>> Try the Collins Bird Guide by Svensson and Mullarney. There isn't a
>>> better.
>>>
>>> See it at www.wildlifebooks.com
>>>

>>I have that book. But to ask here gives more. Anything wrong with that
?

> No, I was just recommending a good book and am pleased to learn that
you
> already have it.

Yes, a really good book.. but it isn't always easy to ID with a book..
I'm still new to this. But I am learning FAST !

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 01-05-05 18:25

In article <Xns9649C085D19A5xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:1ugY7VX3WKdCFw
>$f@indaal.demon.co.uk:
>

>> In article <Xns964971BBC96A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in

>>>I have that book. But to ask here gives more. Anything wrong with that
>?
>>>
>> No, I was just recommending a good book and am pleased to learn that
>you
>> already have it.
>>

>Yes, a really good book.. but it isn't always easy to ID with a book..
>I'm still new to this. But I am learning FAST !

Great. It also helps that you can take photos of the birds sometimes and
not have to rely on memory. The other advantage of the book is that it
has distribution information and so you can see whether the species is
likely or not. The book is going to be more comprehensive on this than
us lot on the newsgroup. Certainly my unaided knowledge of what is
likely in northern Norway is very small

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng

Dato : 01-05-05 18:45

Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:OvVGrs9iDRdCFwp2
@indaal.demon.co.uk:

> In article <Xns9649C085D19A5xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:1ugY7VX3WKdCFw
>>$f@indaal.demon.co.uk:
>>

>>> In article <Xns964971BBC96A2xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes

Beng

>>?
>>>>
>>> No, I was just recommending a good book and am pleased to learn that
>>you
>>> already have it.
>>>

>>Yes, a really good book.. but it isn't always easy to ID with a book..
>>I'm still new to this. But I am learning FAST !
>>
> Great. It also helps that you can take photos of the birds sometimes
and
> not have to rely on memory. The other advantage of the book is that it
> has distribution information and so you can see whether the species is
> likely or not. The book is going to be more comprehensive on this than
> us lot on the newsgroup. Certainly my unaided knowledge of what is
> likely in northern Norway is very small

Well, I'm in north of Sweden...

Yes, photo is the best. But not easy to get, but I have gotten a few
nice ones:

http://orre.mine.nu/faglar/faglar.

//Ben

Fra : Malcolm

Dato : 01-05-05 19:06

In article <Xns9649C8D927D19xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
<xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:OvVGrs9iDRdCFwp2
>@indaal.demon.co.uk:
>

>> In article <Xns9649C085D19A5xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:1ugY7VX3WKdCFw
>>>$f@indaal.demon.co.uk:

>Beng

>that
>>>?

>>>you
>>>>

>>>Yes, a really good book.. but it isn't always easy to ID with a book..
>>>I'm still new to this. But I am learning FAST !
>>>
>> Great. It also helps that you can take photos of the birds sometimes
>and
>> not have to rely on memory. The other advantage of the book is that it
>> has distribution information and so you can see whether the species is
>> likely or not. The book is going to be more comprehensive on this than
>> us lot on the newsgroup. Certainly my unaided knowledge of what is
>> likely in northern Norway is very small
>>

>Well, I'm in north of Sweden...

Oops! Sorry about that. Northern Scandinavia, then. How's that?

--
Malcolm

Fra : Beng

Dato : 01-05-05 19:27

> In article <Xns9649C8D927D19xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes
>>Malcolm <Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:OvVGrs9iDRdCFwp2
>>@indaal.demon.co.uk:
>>

>>> In article <Xns9649C085D19A5xnews88REMOVEyahoose@130.133.1.4>, Beng
>>> <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> writes

Beng

>>Beng

>>that

>>> Great. It also helps that you can take photos of the birds sometimes
>>and
>>> not have to rely on memory. The other advantage of the book is that
it
>>> has distribution information and so you can see whether the species
is
>>> likely or not. The book is going to be more comprehensive on this
than
>>> us lot on the newsgroup. Certainly my unaided knowledge of what is
>>> likely in northern Norway is very small
>>>

>>Well, I'm in north of Sweden...
>>
> Oops! Sorry about that. Northern Scandinavia, then. How's that?

VERY nice !

//Ben