Is this a Woodpecker?
Fra : Beng

Dato : 18-11-04 14:29

Hi.

This GOT to be a Grey-headed Woodpecker?

But it is NOT supposed to be here.. in Abisko in the north of Sweden.. but
it seems so anyway ?

http://orre.mine.nu/birds/peck/peck.htm

//Ben

Fra : Jens Mikkel Lausten

Dato : 18-11-04 18:00

Beng wrote:
> Hi.
Hello

> This GOT to be a Grey-headed Woodpecker?

Correct.

> But it is NOT supposed to be here.. in Abisko in the north of
> Sweden.. but it seems so anyway ?

Again correct.
Please report your observation to the swedish rarity commity.
http://www.sofnet.org/index.asp?lev=115&typ=1

Mikkel

Fra : Beng

Dato : 18-11-04 20:22

"Jens Mikkel Lausten" <mlausten@worldonline.dk> wrote in

> Beng wrote:
>> Hi.
> Hello
>
>> This GOT to be a Grey-headed Woodpecker?
>
> Correct.
>
>> But it is NOT supposed to be here.. in Abisko in the north of
>> Sweden.. but it seems so anyway ?
>
> Again correct.
> Please report your observation to the swedish rarity commity.
> http://www.sofnet.org/index.asp?lev=115&typ=1

ok.. but.. its NOT a rare bird ? Just rare at this location ?

I'm also confused abot the name.. in my book it says Grey-headed but at
many lists on the Internet there ARE no Grey-headed but only Grey-Capped
Woodpecker.. but it got to be the same bird ?

//Ben

Fra : Jan Jespersen

Dato : 19-11-04 13:58

"Beng" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> I'm also confused abot the name.. in my book it says Grey-headed but at
> many lists on the Internet there ARE no Grey-headed but only Grey-Capped
> Woodpecker.. but it got to be the same bird ?

The correct name is
Grey-headed Woodpecker or sometimes Grey-faced Woodpecker.
The Scientific name is Picus Canus, Gråspett in Swedish (and Gråspætte in
Danish.)

The Grey-capped Woodpecker in another species with the Scientific name
Dendrocopos canicapillus. You will not find this bird in Europe. (Well in a
cage maybe)

I can see your observation is reported already on
http://svalan.environ.se/rappsyst/index.htm

Well in Denmark this would be a nice bird to see )

Regards
Jan

Fra : Beng

Dato : 19-11-04 22:23

"Jan Jespersen" <no@mail.net> wrote in

> "Beng" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
>> I'm also confused abot the name.. in my book it says Grey-headed but
>> at many lists on the Internet there ARE no Grey-headed but only
>> Grey-Capped Woodpecker.. but it got to be the same bird ?
>
> The correct name is
> Grey-headed Woodpecker or sometimes Grey-faced Woodpecker.
> The Scientific name is Picus Canus, Gråspett in Swedish (and Gråspætte
> in Danish.)
>
> The Grey-capped Woodpecker in another species with the Scientific name
> Dendrocopos canicapillus. You will not find this bird in Europe. (Well
> in a cage maybe)
>
> I can see your observation is reported already on
> http://svalan.environ.se/rappsyst/index.htm
>
> Well in Denmark this would be a nice bird to see )

It was nice to see it here too !!
And for a LONG time.. took abot 20 pics of it..

//Ben

Fra : Andy Howes

Dato : 08-12-04 21:34

It's definitely a grey headed woodpecker - a female, and its not that far
off the mapped out range for that species.

Andy Howes
Leicester UK

Fra : Beng

Dato : 10-12-04 15:21

"Andy Howes" <andy'semail@ntlworld.com> wrote in

> It's definitely a grey headed woodpecker - a female, and its not that
> far off the mapped out range for that species.
>
> Andy Howes
> Leicester UK
>

> "Beng" <xnews88REMOVE@yahoo.se> wrote in message
>> Hi.
>>
>> This GOT to be a Grey-headed Woodpecker?
>>
>> But it is NOT supposed to be here.. in Abisko in the north of
>> Sweden.. but it seems so anyway ?
>>
>> http://orre.mine.nu/birds/peck/peck.htm
>>
>> //Ben

Well.. as seen on the map at:

http://orre.mine.nu/faglar/graspett.asp

it´s about 800 km from were it is supposed to be ?

//Ben