website performance
Fra : Oliver Lindinger

Dato : 16-09-04 01:15

Hello - I hope somebody can help me with this problem:

Our homepage (http://www.ttc-ried.com) uses Apache, PHP and CMS Mambo.
With Mozilla Firefox the download-times are ok, but with Internet
Explorer our site is very slow. We couldn't find an error, so we
decided to setup a testsystem with another provider
(http://test.mv-ried.at) and there we have no problems - downloadtimes
with both Mozilla and IE are satisfying.

So why is http://www.ttc-ried.com with IE so slow?

The main difference of the configuriation of the two hosters is, that
at www.ttc-ried.com PHP is installed via module in Apache and at
http://test.mv-ried.at CGI is used - so can this be the reason why (but
then why is firefox fast)?

I hope somebody can help me finding this problem (and solving it ;) ).

Fra : Anders Lund

Dato : 16-09-04 08:44

Oliver Lindinger wrote:

> So why is http://www.ttc-ried.com with IE so slow?

Gave the same result to me.. took few seconds without activity and then
it just opened the whole page very fast.

--
Anders Lund - anders@andersonline.dk
Take back the web - www.mozilla.org/firefox

Fra : Stig Johansen

Dato : 17-09-04 07:18

Oliver Lindinger wrote:

> So why is http://www.ttc-ried.com with IE so slow?

From the doc source:
if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+ 'editor.js"');
document.write(' language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>');
} else {
document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate() { return
false; }</scr'+'ipt>');
}

Med venlig hilsen
Stig Johansen

Fra : Oliver Lindinger

Dato : 17-09-04 10:46

Stig Johansen wrote:

> From the doc source:
> if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
> document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+
> 'editor.js"'); document.write('
> language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>'); } else {
> document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate()
> { return false; }</scr'+'ipt>');
> }

Thx, but what's the problem with it - could you explain, please (I'm a
little bit of novice ;) )?

Fra : Stig Johansen

Dato : 18-09-04 08:12

Oliver Lindinger wrote:

> Stig Johansen wrote:
>>
>> From the doc source:
>> if (win_ie_ver >= 5.5) {
>> document.write('<scr' + 'ipt src="' +_editor_url+
>> 'editor.js"'); document.write('
>> language="Javascript1.2"></scr' + 'ipt>'); } else {
>> document.write('<scr'+'ipt>function editor_generate()
>> { return false; }</scr'+'ipt>');
>> }
>
> Thx, but what's the problem with it - could you explain, please (I'm a
> little bit of novice ;) )?

I was reffering to the difference bwtween load times for IE and other
browsers.
When using(or identifying as) IE, you load an additional 47K(editor.js).
But after re-reading your post, it seems like you were also asking about
diffrent load times between servers.
It seems like you have a server/bandwith problem:
issuing "wget http://www.ttc-ried.com" gives "(24.87 KB/s) - `index.html"
issuing "wget http://test.mv-ried.at" gives "(148.36 KB/s) - `index.html"

(I am sitting on a 2048 kbps line)

--