Fra : Erik Prestmo

Dato : 01-05-03 13:07

Subject: What Reloading Manuals

FWIW

Because handloading today is based on the procedures, techniques,
equipment, and data developed by those who came before us, we need to
understand the history of handloading. We should all review the classic
works pertaining to our hobby so that we can appreciate what those before us
did and how their work applies to where we are today.

Every serious reloader needs to have at least read and probable own
copies of the dozen "CLASSICS" of handloading listed below.

1. The Complete Guide to Handloading by Philip Sharpe
2. The Principals and Practice of Loading Ammunition by Earl Naramore
3. Handloading Ammunition by J. R. Mattern
4. Handloader's Manual by Earl Naramore
5. Why Not Load Your Own by Townsand Whelen
6. Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders by P. O. Ackely
7. Hatcher's Notebook by Julian Hatcher
8. Modern Reloading by George Nonte
9. Professional Loading of Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun Cartridges by George
Leonard Herter
10. Reloading - Four Editions from 1951 to 1989 By the NRA (Articles from
the "American Rifleman")
11. Handloader's Digest - 1st thru 17th Editions by John T. Amber & Ken
Warner
12. Pet Loads by Ken Water (His Pet Loads Articles from "Handloader"
Magazine

Reading these twelve books will provide today's reloader with the
historical background and provide an explanation for everything he would
want to know about handloading, from the equipment to the techniques, and
how the components (primers, cases, powder, bullets, and shot) are made.
They all do have loading data, but most of it is outdated because they were
published before 1970, and the first four before 1950. Review of the data
will reveal the extent of research and experimentation the handloading
pioneers went to. They did not just get it out of some published manual,
they "poped many caps" developing the data.
Eddie
Jackson

--
ErikP